NEIU Independent

Comments (1)

All NEIU Independent Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• D

DominiqueJan 22, 2024 at 3:45 pm

I am doing research on Black women in academia and I was looking to find my previous impactful professors. I am a 1998 graduate of Indiana University. Dr. Gibson was one of my wonderful professors. She planted a seed in me that grew into a wonderful fulfilling career. I remember her taking the time to talk with each student individually as she returned our graded final papers. She handed me my paper and asked me if I’d ever considered going to graduate school. The thought had never occurred to me. I excelled at Indiana University yet I had not imagined myself pursuing an advanced degree, until that moment, when she expressed the belief that I was capable of such. Not only did I pursue and obtain an advanced degree but I went on to do a post graduate fellowship at Yale University. I am now a clinical social worker in private practice. I love my career and I’m good at it. If you are reading this, I would like to invite you to listen to NPRs Jan. 21st, 2024 Weekend Edition interview, Black Women in Academia Face Unique Challenges on the Job. Black women who work their way up to leadership roles are often not supported and even sabotaged because environments like higher education institutions don’t believe we belong there in professor and administrative leadership roles. The Professor Gibson I remember was kind, smart, encouraging, and supportive. I wish Black women were offered the degree of support we give to others. I hope wherever Professor Gibson is, she is sleeping well and full of joy, inner peace, hope for the future, and is being loved and cared for in community.

Reply