Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

Letter to the Editor: Lack of Native American Perspectives at NEIU

To the Editor,

As a student of Northeastern Illinois University and an enrolled member of the Ho-Chunk Nation, I am compelled to address a critical issue: the absence of Native American representation in the Search Committee for NEIU’s next president. This is not a mere oversight but a continuation of a historical pattern of exclusion and marginalization of Indigenous peoples.

The United States has a long history of attempting to forcibly remove and ethnically cleanse Indigenous people from their homelands, a history that the Indigenous peoples of Chicago, including those on whose land NEIU stands, have resisted since the beginning. This sacred land was a hub of trade, travel, gathering, and healing for over a dozen Native tribes. Today, Illinois is home to over 100,000 tribal members, making it imperative that NEIU not only acknowledges but also educates about the violent and destructive nature of colonialism.

The University’s failure to include Native American perspectives in selecting its next president contradicts its proclaimed commitment to inclusivity and diversity. This is especially significant given the presence of qualified Native American individuals within the NEIU community. By excluding these voices, NEIU neglects its responsibility to recognize the historical and ongoing trauma caused by policies of displacement, forced assimilation, and the continued structural economic inequalities that disproportionately affect Indigenous peoples.

NEIU is situated on land that was not purchased but taken, stolen. The City of Chicago and its institutions, including NEIU, were built on this painful history. Yet, instead of upholding the sovereignty of Indigenous tribes and acknowledging this legacy, NEIU contributes to the ongoing pain by failing to include Native American voices in key decision-making processes.

It is time for NEIU to amend and create policies, systems, and structures that support Native people, starting with the Presidential Search Committee. Including Native American representatives is not a token gesture, but a crucial step towards recognizing and healing the deep wounds of our past. It is about ensuring that the decisions made today reflect the diverse voices and experiences of all those who are part of the NEIU community.

I urge the Board of Trustees to act immediately to rectify this situation. NEIU must commit to fully recognizing the painful history upon which it stands and start by including us at the decision table, beginning with the Presidential search. Anything less is a betrayal of the University’s stated values and a continued affront to the Native American community.

Ben Krause-Decorah, Enrolled Member of the Ho-Chunk Nation and NEIU Student