Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

What You Need To Know About Striking 

NEIU Campus Recreation over the last year has hosted a variety of combat sports classes and clubs ranging from judo and jiu-jitsu to boxing and striking. A strong community can be built through dedication in the fighting studio, where the Physical Education Complex hosts these many combat clubs. NEIU has reinvigorated the fitness classes with some classes seeing new instructors, one of which is striking. The newest instructor of NEIU’s Striking class, Angel Nunez, explained that his striking course, “is mainly for building boxing fundamentals. This is mainly for the purpose of self-defense”. Striking will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. The class is intended to welcome fighters of all experience levels and as far as the curriculum Angel Nunez said, “I will try to incorporate more kickboxing and muay thai into the course as we go along as people become more comfortable with the boxing aspect of it”. The instructor intends to build good form and an understanding of technique prior to expanding the repertoire.