Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

Letter to the Editor: GLFFC Students on Student Pantry Issue

Dated: April 22, 2024

To Whom It May Concern:

We are writing to bring to your attention an issue that is of great concern to the Great Lakes FAST Fund Consortium (GLFFC) Student Changemaker Fellowship. As Changemaker Fellows, we have developed an advocacy agenda guiding the focus of our consortium members to affect change on campus as well as in state and federal policy. Many students struggle with emergency costs such as housing, medical concerns, car repairs, food, tuition, costs associated with mental health emergencies, transportation, disability-related needs, family concerns, or job loss. The FAST Fund provides emergency financial support to students in times of need. The fellows in the GLFFC fellowship promote the work of this fund, and have also identified an opportunity for advocacy, specifically, with the Student Pantry.

On our campus, we have a Student Pantry; however, it often does not have a wide enough variety or large enough quantity of food to support all students who need it. The food pantry also does not have enough volunteers to allow it to be open enough days a week. Our food pantry is only open for a few hours, mid-day, three days a week. This makes it difficult for students who have class or work during that time or commute to access the food pantry while it is open.

We are asking for food donations, materials like feminine hygiene products or cleaning supplies, money to buy these items, or volunteer time to help keep our food pantry open more often. See the current list of Donation needs and Volunteer Opportunities on the Student Pantry website at https://www.neiu.edu/university-life/student-affairs/student-pantry. Increased promotion of our cause, especially to promote awareness of the need for donations and volunteers, would also be incredibly supportive.

We appreciate your time you took to read this letter, and would appreciate any further consideration or support that you are able to dedicate to us. If you have any questions or would like to speak with us, it would be a pleasure to meet with you.

We appreciate your time you took to read this letter, and would appreciate any further consideration or support that you are able to dedicate to us. If you have any questions or would like to speak with us, it would be a pleasure to meet with you.

Sincerely,

Cedric Frison and Pacifique Uwiringiyimana,
NEIU Students and GLFFC Changemaker Fellows

Terry C. Mena, Ph.D. 

Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

Quinti Rios Perez, M.A.
Interim Assistant Dean of Students, Undocumented Student Resources and Student Care

Nancy A Matthews, Ph.D.
UPI-NEIU President
Professor, Justice Studies and Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies

Full PDF of Letter