Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

NEIU Hosts Annual Study Abroad Fair

NEIU hosted its annual Study Abroad Fair on Feb. 6, 2024. NEIU is partnered with over 40 schools in over 20 countries, many of which were represented at the fair. Those walking by were drawn in by the smell of popcorn and the sound of music hand-picked by previous and current international students. With students from all over the world interacting, the event proved to be lively and joyful.

The goal was to increase awareness of NEIU’s partnerships with other universities and encourage internationalization of the campus, the Study Abroad fair included representation from international and domestic students. The Office of International Programs at NEIU is dedicated to expanding cultural knowledge among its students.

The fair provided information to domestic students on study abroad options ranging from shorter visits, such as faculty-led tours and summer programs, or longer stays involving a full exchange for a semester or academic year.

The further integration of international students into campus life was another goal of the fair, which was represented by several of the tables at the fair being overseen by current international students. They were able to educate others on their home universities and countries with the added benefit of meeting new people on campus. The tables not dedicated to NEIU’s partner schools included information on the Buddy Program and the International Club.

In the Buddy Program, domestic students are paired with up to four international students. As a domestic Buddy, domestic students will help your international Buddy acclimate to the campus and the city. The program allows you to make friends from around the world and an opportunity to show your own culture to others. The Buddy Program has sign-ups at the beginning of each semester.

The International Club is open to all students and is another great way to learn about other cultures and make new friends. The club both hosts and participates in events on and off campus. Some past events include bake sales, movie nights and even outings around the city. The International Club meets at 5 p.m. every Wednesday.

For more information on the Buddy Program or study abroad opportunities you can contact the Office of International Programs by phone at (773) 442-4796 or by email at [email protected]. Their offices can be found in the basement of Lech Walesa Hall (LWH) in rooms 0007, 0008A, B and C.