Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

“Vinland Saga” Season 2 Review

Warning: Some scenes may be disturbing to some viewers, Viewer discretion is advised
Photo Credit: Kodansha
Photo Credit: Kodansha

“I have no enemies” is a powerful quote that establishes the general theme of both the anime series and its source manga, and with this new season, the audience will finally understand the purpose and meaning behind this powerful quote.

“Vinland Saga” season 2 doesn’t pick up immediately where season 1 left off. Previously, we saw our protagonist, Thorfinn, being dragged out of the throne room, kicking and screaming, after his paternal figure and object of hatred, Askeladd, dies at the hands of Prince Canute, who uses this moment to christen himself the new king of England.

This time we see a different Thorfinn, one whose eternal rage is gone, and, along with it, his life’s purpose. The tone and setting of this season are vastly different from season 1s, instead of viewing it from the lens of bloodthirsty Vikings rampaging across the English and Welsh countryside, we see farmers and slaves trying to eke out a living in Rural Denmark.

This time around, Thorfinn is joined by a new set of characters that not only help give him a new perspective on life, but who will also undoubtedly drive his future actions. Such characters are Ketil, the Danish estate lord and slave master; Arnheid, a soft spoken but kind maid for Ketil; and Einer, an English farmer enslaved by Vikings that now work in Ketil’s farm.

This season delves into heavy topics such slavery, vengeance, power, grief, and, more importantly, what it means to be a warrior. It shows us how ordinary folk struggle to live in an era dominated by a warrior culture that praises those who conquer and destroy, while cursing those

who just wish to live in peace. We are shown how the culture represented here tortures the characters of the series, whether it forces them to terms with their present situation or justifying misdeeds in exchange for the possibility of building a supposed utopia. 

This season is infamous for its divided reception from fans, as some of the more casual viewers were expecting another realm spanning campaign of blood and plunder across Europe. Instead, the season was a story of personal character growth, introspection and the struggle to find peace. The seinen nature of this anime, manifests in themes like the futility of violence, the joys of creation as opposed to destruction, the morality of power and wealth, etc.

It also finally gives Thorfinn the motivation to find the mythical land of Vinland, a place of fertile soil, abundant food and, supposedly, wine. Vinland holds a special place in Norse culture and in this universe, as it is a supposed promised land, where one can escape the suffering and violence of Europe and start a new life in the new world. 

It is one of those shows that almost defies genre and tries to impart a message of nonviolence and stoicism to its audience. For newcomers, it’s a good starting point to the “Vinland Saga” series and I highly recommend you not miss out on this season. You can stream it on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Crunchyroll.