The Ups and Downs of NEIU’s Homecoming Dance

A Night of Fun, Noise and Memories

On Friday, Sept. 15, 2023, NEIU’s Black Caucus Club Student Organization hosted the seventh Annual Homecoming dance at the Carruthers Center in Bronzeville. The theme of the event was “Renaissance Tour,” and two party buses were used for transportation. Admission was free for all NEIU students, and non-students could attend for a fee.

At 6 p.m., the journey to the Bronzeville campus began and took 90 minutes from the main campus, a slow ride along Lake Shore Drive. Despite this, the party attendees kept each other company with conversation and laughter. However, the music may have been too loud to have any realistic amount of chit-chat. Also, the responsible individuals who controlled the music were unwilling to play songs that were not of the rap genre. It felt less inclusive of those individuals who enjoy other genres of music.

Upon arrival at CCICS, the festive celebration began in the lobby with backdrops for group photos, party balloons, and a distribution of hand fans. All of the attendees headed to the basement of the building for food, drinks, and engaging conversations. For a change of pace, the music was not as loud and allowed attendees to socialize with each other. The food catered to various dietary preferences with the availability of vegetarian and vegan options.

For the remainder of the night, everybody headed to the dance room with more rap music and dance. Some attendees complained about the absence of a broader selection of music genres. However, it was fun to watch some people execute some wicked dance moves and engage in breakdancing.

At 10 p.m., attendees boarded the two party buses to return to the main campus. Some attendees considered taking an Uber to avoid the loud music on the bus. This time, the return journey to the main campus took about two hours due to construction on I-94. For those who had never been on a party bus before, it was an unforgettable experience.