Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

Disney’s “Haunted Mansion” Kicks off Halloween Early

Are you patiently waiting for Halloween this year? Have you ever visited the sights of New Orleans?

If you said yes to all of them, then you’re going to love Disney’s newest movie “The Haunted Mansion” which is based on the ride with the same name. The movie is about a mother and her son who move to a house in New Orleans after the passing of her husband, but they discover that it’s being haunted by ghosts.

As a result, they decide to recruit a skeptic ghost hunter, a local priest, a psychic, and a college history professor to get rid of the ghosts once and for all. During the process, they discover that the house has a dark past and they have to fight the evil spirits to not only save themselves, but all of New Orleans.

The film stars several high profile actors and actresses: Rosario Dawson who plays Gabbie, a widowed doctor who moves from New York with her son to open a Bed and Breakfast. Owen Wilson who plays Father Kent, a trained exorcist that is posing as a priest. LaKeith Stanfield who plays Ben Matthias, a former astrophysicist turned Ghost Hunter. Danny De Vito who plays Bruce Davis, a college historian and professor. Rounding out the cast is Tiffany Haddish who plays Harriet the local New Orleans psychic using her abilities to catch and stop the ghosts who are haunting the house.

As someone who recently went to New Orleans this summer, I can safely say that I was able to recognize most of the locations like Pirate’s Alley when we see Ben doing his job giving tours, and Bourbon Street when Ben the Ghost Hunter and Professor Bruce are describing the Hatbox Ghost to a police sketch artist.

While this movie is very funny with its spooky themes, it also isn’t afraid to get serious like tackling the topic of grief with a lot of class and how most people can handle grief differently. That is explored in the movie when Ben deals with the death of his wife and instead focuses on his work. On the other hand, Gabbie and her son are trying to move on from the passing of her husband as she became a single parent trying to provide for her son.

Overall, if you are a Halloween or a fan of the Haunted Mansion ride, this movie will make you more excited for Halloween this year because if you ever rode the haunted mansion at Disney world or Disneyland, you will recognize most characters and locations from the ride like The Dueling Ghosts, Madame Leota, the stretching room, and obviously the Hatbox Ghost who plays a big role than you might expect him to play in the movie.