Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

“‘The Lost Apothecary’: A Tale of Secrets, Remedies, and Redemption”

What would you do for or because of love? Love is a very deep emotion and can be hard to navigate even for the well rounded person. If we consider what love is and what it really means, for example affection for something or someone, a strong desire for and even sexual attraction, most are able to understand why the emotion of love can be complicated. In “The Lost Apothecary” by Sarah Penner, the reader meets Caroline in what should be one of the most romantic times of her life. In the midst of a magical place, London, off of the River Thames on her tenth anniversary, Caroline should have reason to celebrate one of the most magical times of her married life, but she is alone.  

A flash back to the 1700’s introduces us to Nella, an apothecary, with special clientele who call upon her to help in times of special need. A rather well-off woman who has a husband with a wandering eye has called upon Nella to make the desire of her husband’s affection for another woman disappear permanently. The mistress with the husband and his wandering eye can not be seen at the apothecary so Eliza, a young house girl servant to the mistress, is called upon to get a tincture that will put an end to her mistress’s problem – for good. Eliza has a desire to learn how to master the mixology of the apothecary to further her own place in society. Things go horribly wrong and here starts the story that grabs the attention of Caroline some 200 years later. 

While on the river Thames’ muddy bank, Caroline happens upon a cobalt blue apothecary bottle. The reader is swept between ‘ole London towne and the London of  today. Two women almost lost to time, their choices shaping history as they know it. Eliza and Nella are in London where the story begins and then we are propelled into the present day and find ourselves with Caroline and what she is dealing with. These women are worlds apart but they complement each other and show just what women are capable of doing. “The Lost Apothecary” is a tale as old as time. Love gained and love lost, repeat. It is a great story to lose oneself in.