Step into Spring with the Return of NEIU’s Walking Wednesdays

Ananth Prabhu, Health & Sports Editor

Last semester, NEIU launched a new initiative to promote the physical well-being of students, staff and faculty on campus. Dubbed Walking Wednesdays, the program has returned for the current spring semester and will run for eight weeks, with the penultimate one scheduled for May 3, 2023. The alliterative jaunt was designed by Shireen Roshanravan last year and aims to encourage exercise and social interaction among members of the NEIU community.

During the Fall 2022 semester, each of the seven Wednesdays offered an excursion to a different part of the NEIU campus or its surrounding areas. Participants explored the neighborhoods to the north, south, east and west of campus, as well as the Campus Recreation’s track. The walks proved popular because of a high turnout rate, with many attendees enjoying the opportunity to chat with their colleagues and get some exercise in the process.

At the latest Walking Wednesday, Shoshanna Vazquez, I.T. Systems Associate from University Technology Services Helpdesk, led the group. Vazquez shared that her motivation for joining the walking group was for “health reasons,” and the most enjoyable aspect of the walk was the camaraderie among participants. This first Walking Wednesday of the Spring 2023 semester took place on March 22nd and explored the tunnel network under the buildings of the NEIU campus.

This semester, the walks will continue to cover new routes and explore different areas around NEIU. Participants can expect to visit places such as the North Park Village Nature Center and Field (Eugene) Park, both of which proved popular in the past. The Walking Wednesdays program is an excellent opportunity for the NEIU community to get some exercise, socialize and explore the local area together. Whether on campus or nearby, there is always something interesting to discover during these walks. So, grab your colleagues, take a break at noon on Wednesdays, and join the trend! The walks always begin at Lech Walesa Hall’s lobby, and nutritious snacks are provided.

Photo by Author