Courtesy of Mr. Romney

Lina David, Staff Writer

Mitt Romney – A Retrospect of Remarks

Mitt Romney
Photo by AP

Over the course of this presidential race the Republican candidate, Mitt Romney, has made comments that scream racism and a severe disconnection from reality. According to CNN, “48% of likely voters back the president, while 47% support the Republican presidential nominee.” Given an expected two percent margin of error, the man who made the following comments may just be a few percentage points away from winning presidency.
“Corporations are people, my friend… of course they are. Everything corporations earn ultimately goes to the people. Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? Whose pockets? People’s pockets. Human beings, my friend,” said Mitt Romney in response to a tax comment.
Unfortunately this idea of money coming back to the people does not include indebted college students. In fact, last year Romney stated at a campaign stop in Manchester, N.H., that “It is very tempting as a politician to say, ‘You know what, I will just give you some money. The government is just going to give you some money and pay back your loans for you. I am not going to tell you something that is not the truth.”
According to the Huffington Post, “It wasn’t a new statement from Romney on Monday, since he said in March he wouldn’t promise more federal money to students and families paying for college, and not to expect the government to forgive student loan debt…[His running mate,] Ryan proposed a budget in the House that would prevent up to one million low-income students from receiving Pell grants.”
A couple weeks ago Romney participated in “Meet the Candidates” on the Spanish-language television network, Univision, and said this about the students affected by the DREAM Act (DREAMers), “For those [young people] that are already here, that are undocumented, that were brought here by their parents and therefore are illegal aliens in this country, my view is that we should put in place a permanent solution.”
His statement is so vaguely ominously, one has to wonder what exactly does a “permanent solution” mean in this context? His reference to DREAMers as “illegal aliens” and subsequent suggestion of “self-deportation” being an option open to them is deplorable, especially on Univision. The whole appearance was a debacle. If he was willing to dye himself a brown-orange color to appeal to the Latino vote, what color will Romney adopt to try to court the African American vote?
“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. …That’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.” – Romney during a private fundraiser
Although Romney was not aware of the comment being made on the record, one has to wonder what other reprehensible and irresponsible statements are being made by Romney behind closed doors. When looking at Romney’s previous comments on the humanity of corporations it is no mystery why Romney believes that corporations are entitled to extensive tax breaks while 47% of the population is not entitled to “healthcare, food, and housing.”
Romney ‘s statements are vague, awkward, and deprived of the basic kind of common sense derived from living in the real world. Surely at least 47% of America doesnot agree with most, if not all of these statements for obvious reasons. All those eligible to vote should get out to the polls and send a message to Mr. Romney.