It’s Time to Rice ‘N’ Roll

Linda Monacelli, Copy Editor

photo by Linda Monacelli

Erick von Alroth, NEIU alum and owner of Frankenstone Art Center, right next door to Rice ‘N’ Roll initially recommended the restaurant.Located at 3312 W. Foster Avenue, Rice ‘N’ Roll is truly a gem of a hole-in-the-wall within a five-minute drive, or 20-minute walk, from Northeastern. Michael’s mom, Ruentip Tiemchaiyapum, a native of Thailand, prepares 98% of the meals. Michael’s sister Alisa came up with the name for the restaurant and her husbanddesigned the cute logo.

Rice ‘N’ Roll serves Thai, Chinese, and Japanese cuisine. The prices are truly a sight for a poor college student’s sore eyes. Their “All-day Special” includes one Thai or Chinese entrée plus two vegetable egg rolls, all for $5.95. While this price excludes tax, it’s still one heck of a deal. Their most popular Thai dish, Pad Thai, earned GrubHub’s Golden Grub Award for Customers’ Favorite dish. Again, for $5.95, you get a generous serving of Pad Thai, generous as in occupying the majority of a 12-inch plate. Their Thai curry dishes are also popular. Customers ordering Chinese food usually get the Mongolian beef or chicken, orange chicken, or General Tso’s chicken. Popular Japanese-influenced items include the Godzilla and dragon mega rolls and regular-sized California and Philly rolls.

Having tried the chicken Pad Thai, it was the most flavorful Pad Thai I’d had in a hot minute. The thin flat noodles were al dente, perfectly cooked, and the peanut sauce was just strong enough to not be overwhelming and ruin the dish. Tender yet crisp chopped scallions balanced the sweetness of the sauce. The chicken pieces were small and thinly sliced, making them convenient to eat and proportionate to the other ingredients. Crunchy bean sprouts and scrambled egg pieces add further texture. Overall, the Pad Thai, as well as other dishes Rice ‘N’ Roll serves up, including the Pad Kiemow and Tom Kha soup, taste super fresh and flavorful.

What makes this place even better is that it’s BYOB, has free Wi-Fi, and the customer service, a.k.a. Michael Tiemchaiyapum, the manager, is friendly. He even remembers his customers and what they’ve ordered in the past! Michael, named after Michael Jackson, whose music his sister loved back in the ‘80’s, asked his parents to give him a Thai nameso that he could feel closer to his cultural heritage. In response, his parents, Saroj and Ruentip Tiemchaiyapum traveled to a Thai temple in Chicago and acquired the name Montri, but their son still goes by Michael with most people, including customers at his family’s restaurant Rice ‘N’ Roll.

Rice ‘N’ Roll can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Yelp. Also check them out on their website www.riceandroll.com. They’re open 6 days a week: Monday thru Saturday, 11:30am – 9:00pm. They are closed on Sunday. Plan your next study group, or social date at Rice ‘N’ Roll. It’ll be the best decision you made all week. Also, don’t forget to say hi to Erick and check his awesome space at Frankenstone Art Center next door!