Remote Learning at NEIU and Task Force Update

The pandemic came to Chicago toward the middle of Spring 2020. NEIU responded in several ways. One way was to offer online instruction. Many courses now are offered only online. Some classes that really need the in-person instruction, such as some laboratory classes, do meet on campus under special safety precautions.

From a November 13, 2020 announcement email of the COVID-19 Task Force:

…The University must remain vigilant as we guard against the spread of the virus during the colder months. Students who test positive for COVID-19 should immediately notify Student Health Services, and employees should notify their supervisors and the Office of Human Resources. …

Here are more information items the Task Force would like to share:

POSITIVE TESTS: Since Nov. 6, five employees and 16 students have reported positive COVID-19 tests. One of those employees and one of those students had been on campus. The close contacts have been notified, as has the Chicago Department of Public Health, and the close contacts will self-quarantine until it is safe for them to return. Since March, a total of 23 employees and 103 students have self-reported to the University that they tested positive for COVID-19. Employees and students who feel sick should stay home. If you test positive for COVID-19, students should immediately notify Student Health Services, and employees should notify their supervisors and the Office of Human Resources. Additionally, faculty and staff are required to report positive and presumptive student COVID-19 cases and exposures to Student Health Services…

STUDY SPACES: The Student Union and Ronald Williams Library are offering students study spaces by reservation only. These spaces offer access to Wi-Fi, computers and copiers/scanners/printers. A color copier/scanner/printer will be available in the Ronald Williams Library only. Students may reserve a two-hour block of time. Limited spaces available in each building.

DOOR ENTRANCES: Northeastern is restricting the access points to specific entrances. Identifying specific doors for entering buildings enables Northeastern to better provide security by monitoring who is coming and going, and keeps foot traffic restricted to specific areas where the University can concentrate its cleaning resources. The COVID-19 Task Force has developed a map to indicate which entrances will be open.

PPE REQUESTS: Facilities Management has created a form to request personal protective equipment (PPE) supplies such as disinfectant wipes and face coverings. Requests must be made at the unit level by chairs or directors, and must be approved by deans and vice presidents. Deliveries will generally be made within one week of the request’s approval.

The COVID-19 Task Force provides weekly updates on Fridays. Students, faculty and staff should continue to visit neiu.edu/coronavirus, which is constantly updated with new information. You may provide feedback or ask questions of the Task Force by emailing [email protected] or filling out the online form.

Finally: Let us be reasonably concerned about this entire matter. Yet, let us try to enjoy life and enjoy each other.