.:SEEDS:. 80’s Prom Funds the Future

Juan Manuel Gonzalez, Contributing Writer

NEIU’s own .:.SEEDS.:. Literary Arts Journal is known around campus as an up-and-coming star and as a bastion of exciting ideas and free thinkers, so when the flyers started appearing on campus promoting a .:.SEEDS.:. 80’s Prom fundraiser, people jumped at the chance to be at one of the best events of the year. The members of .:.SEEDS.:., who were then frantically at work publishing the Spring Journal, were extremely excited to see their fundraiser get a big response as the tickets sold like hotcakes.

Linda Monacelli and Patricia Dalinis win the Prom Royalty contest. Their prize was a “shot of ‘floorshine’ and PBR” says Monacelli.

Students pose for the camera 80s style!
Photos by Janean L. Watkins and Emily Haddad.

DJ Lil Miss Lunchmoney rocks the house with 80s grooves.

As time passed and the prom came closer, I became increasingly anxious as to what I and my friend would be wearing to the prom, and considering that this was my first prom, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Considering I was born in 1990 and didn’t know much about the previous decade, I Google searched as much as I could about the 80’s. It certainly did not help that my mother and sister kept insisting I dress like Boy George, who I bear a striking resemblance to without make-up. My friend and I looked at the selection of clothing the Salvation Army had, and I could not for the life of me find anything that screamed the “80’s.” My friend, however, managed to find a Zack Morris-style outfit (picture Zack from Saved by The Bell.) But the more we searched for an 80’s outfit that fit my tastes, the more we came up empty handed. Time after time we found only the “Dr. Huxtable” look, Cosby-type sweaters with loud, abstract patterns. Finally, our search turned up a very chic cardigan sweater, (which I ended up wearing) complete with a white shirt and very unflattering jeans. As we drove to the Hollywood Lounge, I could not contain my excitement. As we moved closer toward the door leading into the Hollywood Lounge, my heart sped up and thumped in time with the retro beats we could hear trickling out of the 80’s Prom.

Patricia Dalinis, the Secretary of .:SEEDS:., and the bouncer for the night was the first person people were greeted by as they entered prom. As the night began I asked Patricia a couple of questions about .:SEEDS:. and why they chose to have an 80’s prom as a way of fundraising. “We wanted to make the fundraiser fun!” she said, going on to say that .:SEEDS:. was using the funds raised (which came to a whopping $600) to help fund next semester’s publication. As the night progressed we saw several students come in dressed as 1980’s notable characters, such as NEIU student Aaron Juan, who was dressed as Flavor Flav. Juan truely channeled the hip-hop artist by wearing a replica of Flav’s iconic giant clock pendent, so everyone knew what time it was (time to party!)

Linda Monacelli, the Treasurer of .:SEEDS:., channeled her inner Madonna with a look inspired by the diva’s signature 80’s style. When asked about her choice, Monacelli stated that she “was initially inspired by [Madonna’s] look in the film Desperately Seeking Susan, but due to price constraints, went for a funky Madonna.”

As the Hollywood Lounge became more crowded and the music began beating, there was no denying that prom was in full motion. DJ SKONE and DJ Lil Miss Lunchmoney brought down the house by playing great 80’s songs like Kenny Loggin’s “Footloose,” Bonnie Tyler’s “Holding Out For a Hero,” Madonna’s “Like a Prayer,” and even George Michael’s “Faith.” Toward the end of the night, Lakeesha Harris, the Editor-in-Chief of .:SEEDS:., took a moment to thank all the lovely ladies who worked so diligently to make this event a success. This was just one of many exciting events that .:SEEDS:. has in store for the future, and in the words of Doc Brown from Back To The Future, “Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.”