Campus Life Calendar 10/22 – 10/29

COBM Presents: Executive in Residence Jeff Caselden

Tuesday, Oct. 22, 10-11 a.m., Recital Hall (FA 160A)

The College of Business and Management invites the university community to a lecture by Jeff Caselden, a former senior executive at Amazon Ireland. Jeff is both a proven leader and a problem solver  in one of the world’s most well-known and fastest growing eCommerce and technology companies. He recently co-founded Caselden Consulting in order to bring his experience in developing leaders and building high performance teams to help companies identify and develop their strengths and function more effectively. Prior to launching his own company, Jeff spent over 17 years with Amazon.com, culminating as site director for its Dublin Development Centre. He was also a leader and engineer in Amazon’s Search organization for over 12 years.

Black Student Networking Luncheon

Tuesday, Oct. 22, 12:30-2:30 p.m., Alumni Hall North.

The University community is invited to the Black Student Networking Event. Refreshments and door prizes will be provided. Hope to see you there.

Symbols of Resistance: Film screening and panel discussion

Tuesday, Oct. 22, 7-9:30 p.m., Pedroso Center (B 159)

NEIU’s Master of Arts in Community and Teacher Leaders program presents a screening of Freedom Archive’s documentary “Symbols of Resistance,” which examines the history of the Chican@ Movement as it emerges in the 1970s with a focus on events in Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Discussion to follow with Dr. Isaura Pulido and Dr. Angelica Rivera. Contact: Erica R. Meiners, [email protected].

ARS: Workshop Edition

Wednesday, Oct. 23, 5:30 p.m., SU 215.

Do you have a story, poem, essay, or maybe just a collection of thoughts you are trying to get onto paper? Bring what you have to our workshop to share and receive feedback/advice in a safe and supportive environment!

Performance: “Telas, 3 Monólogos”

Wednesday, Oct. 23, 7 p.m., Recital Hall (FA 160A)

The Department of World Languages and Cultures invites the university community to “Telas,” a 70-minute production by theater company Colectivo El Pozo. “Telas” includes three monologues in Spanish with English subtitles. It is a song and exploration of the feminine existence through theater, dance and film. Free and open to the public. Contact: Emily Maso, [email protected].

WZRD Halloween Spooktacular Show

Thursday, Oct. 24, 7-10 p.m., Student Lounge (E 050)

Join WZRD’s annual Halloween celebration featuring live performances by Andrew Robert Palmer, 96 Cougar and Modafoca. Stop by for a great night of live music or listen live on wzrdchicago.org. Costumes are encouraged and best costume will win some WZRD items. Snacks and potluck. Free and open to the public. Contact: [email protected], (773) 629-7375.

LGBTQ+ Domestic Violence: Innovations in Survivor Services, Policies and Research

Tuesday, Oct. 29, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Golden Eagles Cafeteria

The Pedroso Center invites the university community to a panel discussion titled “LGBTQ+ Domestic Violence: Innovations in Survivor Services, Policies and Research.” Contact: Pedroso Center, [email protected], (773) 442-5449.

The 82 Writers/Reading

Tuesday, Oct. 29, 4-6 p.m. CBM 149

It’s the Creative Writing Minor’s first reading of the fall semester! Mark your calendars for a transcendent convention of noted Chicago writers: Jacob Saenz, poet and editor, Jac Jemc, author of “False Bingo” and “The Grip of It” and Kristiana Rae Colón, poet, playwright (“Octagon,” “Good Friday”) and educator.

Filipino American History Month: Open Mic Night

Tuesday, Oct. 29, 6-8:30 p.m., Pedroso Center (B 159)

The university community is invited to celebrate Filipino American History Month! Pin@y Club is sponsoring an Open Mic Night featuring music, dance, poetry and comedy. Contact: Rae Joyce Baguilat, [email protected], (773) 442-4686.

NEIU Chamber Singers & University Chorus

Tuesday, Oct. 29, 7:30 p.m., Recital Hall (FA 160A)

A select and auditioned ensemble, Chamber Singers, directed by Dr. Christopher Owen, rehearses twice each week and performs with the University Chorus. The limited size of this ensemble requires acute musical ability and allows the singers to delve more deeply into the study of performance, practice and style. Chamber Singers also perform with the University Orchestra. Concert Coordinator, Asher Waldron, [email protected], (773) 442-5921.