My farewell letter to The Independent

Photo by Frannie Mendoza

Robert Kukla, Arts & Life Editor

When I first entered the room E049 during the fall 2018 semester, I had no idea what I was doing. All I knew was that I was looking to gain editing experience for my future career. What I received was a whole lot more.

I got to know the staff and together we formed a bond that I had never experienced. We weren’t just friends or colleagues, we became a family.

After a semester of being a stage writer, I was asked to take over the role of Arts and Life Editor. This was the role where I started to feel that journalism might be something I want to pursue as a career. So many nights, hanging out in the office trying to get the latest issue done only made us closer. After all, can you think of anyone else you spend an entire night in an office sharing one goal?

I will always remember my time with The Independent, and I will always keep it close to my heart because not only did I gain valuable experience, I gained a second family and the feeling like I belonged. I will always remember Frannie with her music blasting, Robin as the mom of the group, Nic and her pursuit of investigating the administration, and Amaris encouraging me to share my opinion. If it wasn’t for the entire Independent team, my college experience wouldn’t have been the same. I owe tremendous gratitude to this team and organization, and if you’re someone contemplating whether or not to join the newspaper, my advice is to just do it because it will change your life for the better.