The Independent

The Independent

Independent places 6th in ‘Best of Show’ at national college media convention

Editors Robert Kukla, Amaris E. Rodriguez and Nicole F. Anderson pose with the Independent's

Editors Robert Kukla, Amaris E. Rodriguez and Nicole F. Anderson pose with the Independent's "Best in Show" 6th place award.

Cecilia G. Hernandez, Editor-in-Chief

The Independent news staff placed 6th for the “Best of Show” award at the 2018 ACP/CMA National College Media Convention in Louisville, Kentucky.

The National College Media Convention is where college journalists and advisers attend practical and professional learning sessions led by high-profile keynote speakers and experts in the field. Students are trained to identify ways on how to improve their news writing, team management, and recruitment and retention efforts while also competing for awards.

The Independent received feedback on their newspaper during their critique, attended receptions and entered the “Best of Show” contest where they placed 6th.

News and Co-Managing Editor Nicole F. Anderson said the following sessions and events at the ACP/CMA convention were the most helpful: Newspaper Critique, Covering Campus Crime; Keeping the Law on Your Side; Avoiding the Privacy Trap and speaking to the Student Press Law Center (SPLC) lawyers.

“Speaking with the SPLC lawyers was extremely helpful,” Anderson said since she’s been working on a story and had some legal questions which the SPLC lawyers were able to answer.

The Independent is scheduled to attend the Illinois College Press Association Conference in January 2019 in Chicago, Illinois, and the ACP/CMBAM National College Journalism Convention in La Jolla, California, in March 2019 to compete against other universities in Illinois and in the nation.

About the Contributors
Cecilia G. Hernandez, Editor-in-Chief

Cecilia G. Hernandez (pronouns: she/her/hers) is a senior studying English, philosophy, and child advocacy studies at Northeastern Illinois University. Besides being the editor-in-chief of the Independent, Hernandez is a court appointed special advocate for CASA of Cook County, a Stage Center Theatre actress,  and a student ambassador for NEIU’s Enrollment Services. Hernandez discovered her passion for journalism and design during her junior year of high school at Lane Technical College Prep. Hernandez has been a part of the Independent news team since 2016.

Nicole F. Anderson, News and Co-Managing Editor
Nicole “Nic” F. Anderson (she/her/hers) is the Independent’s co-managing and news editor. She is a senior at NEIU and majoring in communications, media and theatre.
Anderson was the previous editor-in-chief for both Wilbur Wright College’s newspaper, The Wright Times, and the literary magazine, The Wright Side. Her work has also been published in “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Confident and Curvy,” SEEDS and Rebellious Magazine.
Her fictional short-story, “The Bottle of Gin,” won first place in the Daredevil’s writing competition in 2016. In Aug. 2018, Anderson published the first of a three-part queer murder mystery booklet, “Dead in New York City.”
In her very sparse free time, Anderson writes for her own blog, yungmiga.com, an online “queer media” platform, which focuses on current events in Chicago’s LGBTQ+ community.
Anderson can always be spotted around campus with a large cup coffee in one hand and a notebook in the other. She loves hearing from students and is always willing to sit down and chat.

She hopes to continue seeking, writing and publishing the truth and to work for a major news organization in the future.

NIC ANDERSON’S SOCIAL MEDIA

Instagram: @nihcool

Instagram: @yungmiga

Twitter: @nihcool_

Twitter: @yungmiga