The Independent

The Independent

El Centro’s ‘Pumpkin Carving Contest’ Announced

Nicole F. Anderson, News and Co-Managing Editor

Alma Hernandez's first place pumpkin.

Placed in a staggered line on a table in El Centro’s lobby, 16 differently decorated pumpkins sat on display for the NEIU community to choose one as the winner.

El Centro campus teamed up with the Northeastern Illinois Programming Board to host a “Pumpkin Carving Contest,” where the NEIU community were encouraged to decorate and carve pumpkins for a chance to win.  

On Oct. 31, votes were casted, and the winning pumpkins were announced: first place Alma Hernandez; second place, Diana Redkva; third place, Samantha Velez; and honorable mention, Cynthia Andrade.

About the Contributor
Nicole “Nic” F. Anderson (she/her/hers) is the Independent’s co-managing and news editor. She is a senior at NEIU and majoring in communications, media and theatre.
Anderson was the previous editor-in-chief for both Wilbur Wright College’s newspaper, The Wright Times, and the literary magazine, The Wright Side. Her work has also been published in “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Confident and Curvy,” SEEDS and Rebellious Magazine.
Her fictional short-story, “The Bottle of Gin,” won first place in the Daredevil’s writing competition in 2016. In Aug. 2018, Anderson published the first of a three-part queer murder mystery booklet, “Dead in New York City.”
In her very sparse free time, Anderson writes for her own blog, yungmiga.com, an online “queer media” platform, which focuses on current events in Chicago’s LGBTQ+ community.
Anderson can always be spotted around campus with a large cup coffee in one hand and a notebook in the other. She loves hearing from students and is always willing to sit down and chat.

She hopes to continue seeking, writing and publishing the truth and to work for a major news organization in the future.

NIC ANDERSON’S SOCIAL MEDIA

Instagram: @nihcool

Instagram: @yungmiga

Twitter: @nihcool_

Twitter: @yungmiga