Director of the Diversity Center leaves NEIU

‘It was the right decision at this time.’

Cecilia G. Hernandez

Maria Genao-Homs, Director of the Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs

Cecilia G. Hernandez, Writer

Maria Genao-Homs, Director of Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs (APCDIA), announced to the Pedroso Center’s staff her departure via an email titled, “My heartfelt thanks!” on June 7.

After being the Director of the APCDIA for five years, Genao-Homs said in her email that it “was not an easy decision, but after much contemplation and processing, it was the right decision at this time.”

In a follow-up email to the APCDIA’s staff, Operations Assistant Michael J. Partipilo said Genao-Homs’ announcement “came as a surprise” and that “[he] is still processing it, too.”

“First and foremost, Maria’s decision to leave will not impact any of your employment with/for the Center,” Partipilo said in his email, reassuring a few student aides who worried about their jobs at the APCDIA.

Partipilo continued to say in his email that he, Genao-Homs and Dear Aunaetitrakul, Assistant Director specializing in Gender and Sexuality, are planning for Genao-Homs’ transition off campus.

“And with that, any recommendations for personal charges, [like] naming an Interim Director, to ensure the Center continues to function smoothly and to prepare for the upcoming academic year,” Partipilo said.

The interim director will be officially announced within the next couple of days via email in a targeted announcement to the NEIU community.

Partipilo and Aunaetitrakul planned a farewell reception for Genao-Homs on June 20 from 2:30 p.m. until 4 p.m. at the APCDIA located in B-159.

Genao-Homes will be moving to New York and starting a position in Hamilton College, a private, nonsectarian liberal arts college in Clinton, New York.

*Disclaimer: The reporter and writer of this story is a student aide of the APCDIA.