In The Neighborhood: Charcoal Delights

Roine Dryer Michaels, Writer

Charcoal Delights, a family owned restaurant located at 3139 W. Foster Avenue, is actually more of an institution than a local restaurant. They have been cooking great eats that are both healthy and indulgent for 55 years.

The operation is well-seasoned when it comes to making your food right and serving it promptly with a smile. They’re open Saturday through Thursday from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. and on Friday from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m.  

They keep their look up-to-date and clean. It’s a nice place to hang out and eat with friends, conduct an informal meeting or take the family for a quick and easy meal.

If you want to catch a homemade breakfast before class, they have several varieties of three egg omelets, crispy hash browns, french toast and pancakes, with a side of sausage or bacon.

If you are looking for a student-style bargain they have an egg sandwich on toast for only $1.99!

You can dine in, carryout or have it delivered. If you are looking for a healthy choice, pick the Greek salad with charcoal broiled chicken breast. The chicken is juicy.

The salad has fresh lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, bell pepper, red onion, kalamata olives and feta cheese. It is topped with a Greek dressing and served with warm pita bread.

When you are famished, a couple good options to choose are either the half pound charcoal broiled cheeseburger special or the broasted (deep fried) chicken dinner which comes with broasted potato wedges, coleslaw and fries. Either way, your appetite will be satiated.

They also have a convenient drive-thru option as well.

They had about eight non-meat choices posted thoughtfully for those with restricted religious diets during the Catholic Lent season. The fried fish dinner was amazing!

They have party pricing and catering options, too.

When you want to treat yourself, keep in mind they have scrumptious slabs of barbeque ribs, grilled chicken and an amazing New York strip steak, all made on their charcoal grill.

Their whole menu is available on their website: www.charcoaldelights.com.

Whether you’re looking for something as simple as a bowl of hot oatmeal, a steamy cup of soup, a piece of pecan pie, or anything in between, you will find a great selection of satisfying meals at Charcoal Delights.