A Reflection to the First Week of Classes

A+student+providing+his+undivided+attention+during+a+lecture.+

Photo courtesy of Wikicommons

A student providing his undivided attention during a lecture.

The fall semester is here! Can you feel it? Classes have been filled to capacity and waiting lists are on a “better luck next time” streak.

At the start of the fall semester, all students have the opportunity to make adjustments to their schedules. Last minute class “adds” and “drops” are never a fun ordeal, but when such action is done, it must have been necessary, right?

When the time comes to create a new class schedule, students go through a series of emotions. It’s in the first week that the possibility of making minor adjustments to their class schedule could mean chaos.

Excitement:
We all get excited to start a new semester, to choose our classes, to further our college career. Our education is important to us and we want to get the most from our college experience.

And the winner is…
If you were successful in selecting all of your classes and creating a decent schedule for yourself, give yourself a pat on the back! The classes you have selected fall into your major requirements and satisfy your status as part-time or full-time student. Bring on the new semester!

Class is in Session:
Print your syllabus and head on over to class. This is it, the new semester looks promising and your professors? You simply can’t decide which is your favorite. They all are.

Three Down, One More to go:
As you head over to the last class of the week, on a Thursday at 1:30 p.m., you can’t help but think, “This is going to be a great semester. Last class of the week, here I come.”

The Moment of Truth:
Pull up a chair in the first row, or the back row, and get ready to be blown away. This is the class you selected to satisfy an elective. It doesn’t necessarily mean its going to be an easy-A, but its interesting and…

It’s not what you expected at all:
The class soon turns into your worst nightmare. There were prerequisites you should have probably looked into prior to registering for the class. The class may soon become hybrid and scheduled for a day you have reserved for work. The professor has a unique teaching style to say the least. (Unique can mean just about anything, we’ve all been there.)

Dropping courses and scavenging for open classes is not a common practice of many and is not advised to the faint-of-heart. It is also not advised to stay in a class that you simply can’t find an interest in or does not meet your needs.

The idea of dropping a class on the first week of school is something I have never been fond of. It’s never been an option for me, as it seems like a tedious and stressful process, and let me tell you that it is and will be. Deciding to move forward and drop a course is going to cause distress to your back-to-school spirit.

Likewise, staying in a class that you may pass or potentially do poorly in, and possibly fail, is something that should be avoided at all costs. This goes out to the students who decided to “stick it out this time around” and plan to stay in a class regardless of such feelings.

Need Advice?
If you’re stuck and don’t know if you should stay in a class or not, talk to someone. Professors you know and love and advisors can give you the insight you need in order to make your “add/drop” decision.

You Never Know Unless you try:
Contacting the professor of the class you are interested in is your best bet for getting a seat in his or her class. He or she will be able to provide you with necessary information like the availability, if there is a waiting list, and the details of the first class.
Ready to Add a Class?
The process of registering for a class, once the semester has started, requires students to fill out for course request form located in the designated department office. Sure, the wait of your request may seem like an eternity, but its a step in the process that will lead you to success. (Adding another class.)

The decision to drop a class is solely yours to make, for it only affects you. Be smart, be proactive, and keep your best interest in mind. This is your degree, this is your time, so make the best of it.