Nest Fest Returns to NEIU

More Arts & Life

After the stress of finals has rushed through your system, Nest Fest, the Northeastern Programming Board’s (NPB) planned day of fun activities is one year in the making and promises to be the biggest yet.

Nest Fest is a Northeastern end of the year celebration of food, activities, dancing and music. Nest Fest began in 2011 and was known as Family Day, when students brought their families for a fun day of activities in the cafeteria. Each year, it grew, with more events and entertainment.

“It’s like a mini Lollapalooza,” said NPB member Tania Gorgius. This year’s fest will include Belizean dancers, a drum circle, a DJ, many acts from the NEIU talent show including winner Mago Mor — a magician from Spain — and headlining band Hellogoodbye.

“We try to let students have a voice,” said Gorgius. Many of the activities were suggested by the students with many clubs offering their talents. DJ Axon, a well-known Chicago DJ from UIC is a brother from Omega Delta, suggested by the fraternity.

The programming board surveyed many students over the year to get their input. Through a Facebook poll that was setup so that for only one vote per student, they chose Hellogoodbye as the headlining act. Hellogoodbye is an indie power pop band from California best known for their songs Here (In Your Arms) and (Everything is) Debatable.

The theme for this year’s fest is ‘Diversity.’ The NPB kept the theme by trying to have many different styles of music and dance on display. Belizean dancers and a Spanish magician are just the tip of the iceberg.

Nest Fest is the biggest event for the NPB. Throughout the year, they have two meetings per week, one for their regular events, like Late Night Breakfast and free movies and one devoted entirely to Nest Fest. Thanks to their endless promotion campaign more students are attending this year, than ever before. Three hundred free tickets have so far been given out and another 150 are estimated to attend. Family and friends are also able to join; they must pay general admission.

This year, the NPB worked to keep their budget low in order to make the event free for students. “We’ve been careful with our budget,” said NPB member, Tara Shedor.

The NPB’s budget comes entirely from student activity fees. So, students actually pay for it and it would be a shame not to attend.