President’s Pen – Hillel

Meet the Officers & Advisor of Hillel

NEIU
Ilana Ostro

Ilana Ostro (President) is a senior studying Marketing and finishing up her Bachelor’s degree here at NEIU. She enjoys dancing, playing basketball, making people laugh, snowboarding, and singing to herself in the car when no one is listening. She has a great passion for Judaism and the Jewish culture, loves to meet people and get people involved in all sorts of activities. She loves every Hillel event and cannot pick just one. Look for her in the College of Business and Management building, (all of the time) studying or procrastinating.

NEIU
Mati Zuckerman

Mati Zuckerman (Vice President) is a senior studying Mathematics. He enjoys solving math problems, conversing with others, and watching movies (as long as they’re good). His favorite Hillel event to date was when Hillel brought Sukkot to Campus: SukkahMobile. “It had the best atmosphere, we got to sit in a real sukkah while Rabbi Posner answered questions and we had an open discussion; there was a bit of rain, but it didn’t stop us from having fun!” Look for him tutoring in the LSC (Learning Support Center) math lab finding ways to solve all your (calculation) problems!

NEIU
Rafi Massey

Rafi Massey (Treasurer) is a junior studying Biology and has as passion for science. Some of his favorite things to do are playing the banjo, dancing the tango, socializing and he also LOVES hummus! His favorite Hillel event up until now was the SukkahMobile event and loves the Hillel display case! He would like to see it happen again and many more future events for Hillel. Find him dipping his pita into his hummus after performing the tango for everyone around campus.

NEIU
Aaron Massey

Aaron Massey (Secretary) is a freshman and undecided about his field for study but is studying everything until then. He enjoys playing guitar, watching movies, listening to music, playing hockey and taking long walks on the beach. His favorite Hillel event to date was bringing in Alex Cicelsky to talk about Kibbutz Lotan. He showed us how we could be more eco -friendly no matter where we are and how we could use waste to build a community anywhere in the world! Find him wandering through the concrete paths of NEIU’s campus looking for something new and interesting to do.

NEIU
Teodora Burian

Dr. Teodora Burian is not only Hillel’s advisor, but she is a mother and a professor too. She loves learning about Judaism and works in the English Language Department while enjoying the company of her students a great deal! She is a huge motivator and dedicates her time showing her huge support to the Hillel and without her, things would not happen. When she gets some free time she enjoys to read, bake and just recently took up knitting. A fan of rock climbing and biking, you can find her climbing up the walls of Lech Walesa Hall through her window and into her office LWH 2048.

Upcoming Events for Hillel, Don’t Miss Them!
Tuesday December 4th at 3 pm: Chanukah on Camus: Olive Oil Making Workshop, Golden Eagles room in the Student Union (103) Taboun Grill will be served (CrC, Kosher Middle Eastern/Israeli food)
Wednesday December 5th from 12-4 pm: Stress & “Fress” to Make You Feel Best! BBH (Science building) Room 229 (subject to change). Kosher pizza will be served if you need to study, take a break, socialize or grab a quick bite!

More information? Questions? Want to get involved?

Simply contact any of Hillel’s officers: Ilana Ostro [email protected] / (847)921-6361, Mati [email protected], Rafi [email protected] , Aaron [email protected]