Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

Faculty Senate Continues Debate Over Robert’s Rules of Order

As The Independent previously reported, members of NEIU’s Faculty Senate have discussed ending the usage of Robert’s Rules of Order (RRO) for their meeting procedures.The Faculty Senate continued the discussion during its meeting on November 26, 2023.

According to the Robert’s Rules Association website, RRO, is, “America’s foremost guide to parliamentary procedure. It is used by more professional associations, fraternal organizations, and local governments than any other authority.”

On October 10, Adam Goldstein, a professor in the Communication, Media and Theatre (CMT) department and Faculty Senate Vice Chair, originally proposed to end using RRO as protocol for senate meetings.

“[RRO] is a fully non-inclusive, white supremacist, inequitable system that was created out of a white supremacist environment, for white exclusive spaces.” Goldstein said.

The ongoing discussion has sparked debate among members of NEIU’s Faculty Senate.

Nancy Wrinkle, a Mathematics professor and member of the Steering Committee, commented on how to proceed forward after a motion is passed to end using RRO.

“Our constraint here is trying to put together an agenda without violating the Open Meetings Act,” Wrinkle said. “So if we have a conversation as a Senate about what the agenda is going to be, it’s layers of just ridiculousness.”

The Open Meetings Act is a set of laws that require “government agencies, boards, commissions, and other public bodies to conduct their meetings and decision-making processes transparently and openly.”

In the public comment portion of the meeting, Ashley Elrod, Assistant Professor of History, addressed the Faculty Senate on the ongoing Israel-Hamas war.

“As your colleague, I’m asking that we care for our students who are affected [by the crisis,” Elrod said. “As your constituent, I ask you to issue a collective statement demanding a permanent ceasefire and an end to the mass killing and displacement of Palestinian civilians.”

At-large members of the Faculty Senate also discussed reducing the size of the Senate itself.

Faculty Senate meetings are held on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. All university students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend.