Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

Dr. R. Shayne Cofer Replaces Dr. Andrea Evans as Interim Provost

Dr. R. Shayne Cofer was named Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs by Interim President Dr. Katrina Bell-Jordan, on July 13, 2023.

Dr. Cofer told The Independent in a statement, “I am excited to take on the role of Interim Provost. I look forward to working with Interim President Bell-Jordan, the administrative team, students, faculty and staff as we move Northeastern forward in preparation for a new president. This year, goals for the Provost’s Office include increased student enrollment and improving processes for the success of our current and continuing students, among other initiatives. The University is eager to welcome the new class of Golden Eagles in the Fall 2023 semester.”

Dr. Cofer earned a Ph.D. and M.A. in Music Education from the University of Iowa as well as a B.M. in Vocal and Instrumental Music Education from the University of Iowa.

Dr. Cofer arrived at Northeastern in 1998 as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Music and served as Chair of the Music and Dance Program from 2003 to 2016.

Later that year, Dr. Cofer served as Acting Associate Provost of the Office of Academic Affairs until 2019 before becoming Associate Provost in January 2020.

Dr. Cofer is also a member of the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) Leadership Team and has provided oversight for curriculum development processes and review by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and the IBHE.

Dr. Cofer also served as a member of NEIU’s COVID-19 Task Force, the Academic Affairs COVID-19 Transition Team, and Co-Chair of NEIU’s Instructional Laboratory/Studio/ Experiential Learning (ILSE) Working Group during 2020 and 2021 Return to Campus (RTC) planning for research and creative activities.

In an email sent to the university community, Interim President Bell-Jordan stated: “Dr. Cofer’s background, administrative experience, and knowledge of Northeastern position him to successfully perform the duties of Interim Provost, to contribute meaningfully to stabilizing the University, bring the University community together, and to support a successful transition to a new President.”

Dr. Cofer replaces outgoing Interim Provost, Dr. Andrea Evans, who received a vote of no confidence from NEIU’s Faculty Assembly in an overwhelming 145-39 vote in May 2023.

Evans’ tenure as Interim Provost, which began after former President Gloria J. Gibson appointed her in 2022, had been marred by controversy from calls for budget cuts and criticism from NEIU’s Faculty Senate for her lack of communication. Evans had previously been hired as the director of CCICS in 2018, before being appointed Interim Dean of the Goodwin College of Education in 2020.

The Independent reached out to Evans and the NEIU administration, but neither have responded for comment prior to printing.