Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

AMC’s “Interview with the Vampire” Review

AMC’s “Interview with the Vampire” proves that representation for everyone can exist in the horror genre. When I first heard that AMC would be making an “Interview with the Vampire” TV show, I was very hesitant at first because the original movie with Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Kirsten Dunst was near and dear to my heart and I just thought that the show was horrible until I watched it this year and it changed my mind.

With the show originally being released on Oct. 2, 2022, I thought that Jacob Anderson as Louis, Sam Reid as Lestat, and Bailey Bass as Claudia would do a bad job as the main vampires until I watched the show and I realized that their performances were bone-chilling. Sam Reid as Lestat and Jacob Anderson as Louis prove that they can lead characters in horror and be in queer relationships. Jacob Anderson along with Bailey Bass both prove that there is even a space for people of color to be the lead characters in the horror genre just like their white counterparts.

Jacob Anderson, Sam Reid, and Bailey Bass prove that they have a lot of range when they play their respective characters, one minute they can be bloodthirsty and sadistic vampires that like to play mind games with their victims, but still have a sensitive and vulnerable side. On top of that, Eric Bogosian as Daniel Molloy who interviews Louis in present-day Dubai also does a great job playing the hesitant and suspicious journalist who questions Louis’s intentions when asking him about his past life and how he’s a vampire.

Another thing that is brilliant about this show is the costumes are historically accurate for the time periods, ranging from the 1920s to near present day.

While the show itself is good, it seems that on March 31, 2023, Bailey Bass who played Claudia in the first season of “Interview with the Vampire”, announced on her Instagram that she will not be returning to season two of the show. Bailey wrote, “Due to a variety of unforeseen circumstances I’m unable to return to Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire for a second season. Playing Claudia has been a dream role and an incredible ride. I wish Delainey Hayles the best of luck in taking over.” Ever since reading that post, I thought it was an early April fool’s joke until I realized it was actually for real and every entertainment news site like the Hollywood Reporter also confirmed it to be true.

Bailey Bass did a wonderful job of portraying Claudia and capturing her spirit and personality, especially when she becomes a vampire for the first time and when she tries to escape from Lestat. 

I can’t wait to see Delainey Hayles as Claudia. I am so excited for season two to come out this year since it finished wrapping in New Prague. There is another new cast member with Ben Daniels cast as Santiago, who in the books and movie is described as being a member of a vampire theater group that is in Paris who seems to have their sights set on Louis and Claudia for their own sinister reasons.