SGA Candidates Spring 2023

SGA Candidates

President

Eryn Nelken

Maggie Sabanagic

Treasurer

Dharmik Chhatbar

Student Trustee

Edwin Medina

Senator

Maryam Shammari

Jennifer Estrada

Council of Club Rep

EJ Schumacher

SGA Candidate Info:

Name

Maggie Sabanagic

Running for the position of

President

Year in school

First year

Past experience in leadership roles

In my experience, I have lacked long-term leadership roles. During the pandemic, I worked as a CNA in a skilled nursing facility providing basic care to the residents. One shift we had fallen short of a few nurses on the floors leading the staff to scramble to pick up the slack. As several of my coworkers had started to feel anxious about the workload I gathered them and proposed it would be easier to delegate tasks to accommodate according to lost time. Each of my coworkers did tend to patients in a triage format (according to the severity of the patient). At the end of our shift, we felt confident that each patient was well taken care of.

What do you believe to be the critical issues facing NEIU students?

In my opinion, I feel that one critical issue is rooted in our lack of 3rd spaces. Many of the students at NEIU commute forcing them to have to stay on campus for long hours. These conditions can lead to the deterioration of students’ mental and physical health. Introducing a 3rd space such as an area where individuals can meet and socialize without pressure. I believe enhancing student experience in higher education should not be a quick fix or an area you can only focus on for a short period of time. The regular implementation of changes will provide increased retention rates and lower dropout figures. Additionally, I feel that students lack of a formal place to bring their issues or concerns to NEIU in an accessible way. Many people have concerns but fear they won’t be handled properly. I hope to solve such issues in the best way I can.

How do you plan to address these issues?

In order to bring 3rd spaces to campus, I would like to organize a free space on campus that is appropriate for students to congregate. I plan to address these issues by creating a way for students to voice their opinions concerning NEIU issues in a safe, comfortable and anonym[o]us way. I propose that a[n] anonymous google form be made with a few short questions where students can bring their concerns, issues or proposals to the student government.

What would be your first action once in office?

My first action in office would be to provide students with knowledge of what student government is capable of changing and providing to them.

Candidate Name

EJ Schumacher (they/them)

Running for the position of

Council of Clubs Representative

Year in school

Senior (Transfer, Second Bachelor)

Past experience in leadership roles

I have held leadership roles in many different organizations, including being co-chair of the Unity Initiative Education and Awareness Committee at the law firm I work for, Casting & Social Media Manager for PS…Burlesque performance troupe, and Head Cast Trainer at Gorilla Tango Theater. At NEIU I am current Secretary of the Green Conservation Group, Pride Alliance, & Green Fee Committee, Chair of the University Diversity Council’s Campus Pride Index working group, Senior Representative of the University Honors Program Student Advisory Board, and a Council of Clubs representative.

I believe that the most prevalent issue facing NEIU students is the University’s response to the needs of our faculty and staff. The NEIU Chapter of University Professionals of Illinois Local 4100 has been fighting for the last 8 months to receive appropriate compensation, reduce the excessive burden of their workload while simultaneously having the work they are doing recognized, and be granted the general support they so desperately need and deserve. On top of these issues, the University’s threats of cutting programs and scaling down departments will do nothing but create additional strain on our already overworked and under-supported faculty & staff. The University’s refusal to support its employees is of the highest concern to the student body, as it will lead to less availability for professors to meet with students outside of class, a reduction in courses available, a loss of diverse perspectives among those creating our curriculum, and the possibility of a strike which will immediately impede students’ education. We must work to support those who make our education possible.

As a student leader, I am taking steps to reduce the burdens faced by the faculty & staff I work with. In the student organizations[,] I am a member/leader of, I am promoting initiatives which [will] make us more self-sufficient & don’t require as much oversight from faculty advisors. In other University-sponsored organizations & personal initiatives, I have taken actions to drive progress rather than waiting for University employees to have the time & bandwidth to do so. I will continue to offer my time & energy in this way to support the people at NEIU who need it.

As a Council of Clubs Representative, I will offer my services to increase the awareness of Student Leadership funding opportunities at NEIU. Despite being very active in multiple student organizations, I was completely unaware of the Council of Clubs & the funding they offer until early this semester. It is my hope that I can help make the student body more aware of the availability of Council of Clubs funding, how the Council operates, and what they can do to make their student organization as successful and engaging as possible.

Candidate Name

Edwin Medina

Running for the position of

Student Trustee

Year in school

Grad School

Past experience in leadership roles

Currently[,] I am the President of [the] Student Government Association (SGA) and President of the College of Business and Technology (CBT) Student Advisory Council (SAC). I am also a member of the Executive Board for the College of Business and Technology.

Accessibility to resources is one of the problems that NEIU students are now facing. Scholarship visibility will continue to be a concern for NEIU students. Students also endure food and housing insecurity as a result of the pandemic caused by the COVID-19 virus. Lastly, we have insufficient professionals who do not comprehend the significance of student service.

I often feel that spaces that could include for students [who] are overshadowed by issues brought on by NEIU personnel. It’s important that we all pull together to ensure accountability. Our emails frequently go unanswered, and we frequently retain staff who fail to appreciate that our one source of funding comes from the tuition paid by our students. It is important to me that students realize they can be the agents of change they seek. My goal is to encourage them to use their voices and take meaningful action. I want to make sure we seek out the next University President that students want in their corner. During my presidency, I initiated a number of discussions aimed at better meeting the needs of our student body. We need to start demanding accountability from the administration, faculty, and staff. Along with the Student Government Association, I will make sure that students know about and make use of the public comment time at Senate meetings. I’ll do what I can to raise public understanding of the problems we’re fixing.

My first action once in office is to help the Board of Trustees understand the needs of the NEIU student body by creating public forums that are open only to students.

Candidate Name

Jennifer Estrada

Running for the position of

Senator

Year in school

Graduate

Past experience in leadership roles

I had the opportunity to program for the first Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) event at NEIU last fall. With the support of my team, we were able to see a high number of students, faculty and staff attend our events throughout HSI week.

Some of the issues that our current students are facing are financial challenges, food insecurity, and community. As I have connected with many graduate students throughout the year, many have stated the need [for] financial resources to purchase food. The students I have connected with are from out of state and they have not been able to grow connections with the campus.

As a senator who has been part of the student life committee, I am motivated to be more intentional with the events. Many of our events may be promoted to undergraduate students however, I have seen the need to also create a community for graduate students.

My first action in office would be planning for a year worth of intentional events and inviting graduate students to all of the events on campus.

Candidate Name

Eryn Nelken

Running for the position of

President

Year in school

Junior

Past experience in leadership roles

I’m a Senator for [the] Student Government Association as well as Co-Chair of the Green Fee Committee. I also serve on the Appointments and Promotions Committee.

Getting administration offices to better respond to student needs.

By taking to the necessary departments and seeing what everyone can do to better serve the students together.

Talking to administrators to see how we can all work towards a better student experience