Campus Events: 11/15 – 12/3

Leslie Lozada, Editor in Chief

School isn’t just for classes. Here at NEIU, we have a lot of events from different departments that are around different campuses. From clubs, frats, and university wide events, here are some events that are coming up:

Clubs Going-ons:

The International Club

Every Wednesday, 4:30 – 5:30 p.m., LWH 1001

Expect to learn a lot from different cultures, travel around Chicago and see things from a new perspective. 

Club events: 

Pinoy Club

Every other Tuesday

2 – 3 p.m., Main Campus, LWH 1001

Undocumented, Resilient and Organized  (URO)

Every other Monday

1 – 2 p.m, Main Campus, SU 216 or via Zoom

Club events: There is an Organization workshop on Sept 21, from 2:30 – 4 p.m. and a Sip and Paint on the 22th in the Quad from 3 – 4 p.m. 

NEIU Asian American Intervarsity

3:45 – 4:45 p.m. Wednesdays

11a.m. – 12 p.m.  and 3 – 4 p.m. Thursdays

A safe space for Asian Americans to explore faith in Jesus. There are three different meeting times; there are Bible study Wednesdays, Holy Spirit on Campus Thursdays, and Asian American Small group Thursdays.

The Independent

Every Tuesday

3 – 4 p.m., Main Campus, E-049

Club events:

The meeting on Tuesday Nov. 22, will be the pitch meeting, interested people can give ideas as to what articles they could write/take pictures or take up any open pitches. The deadline for receiving articles is the following Tuesday, Sept. 29, which is the date for the production meeting.

Seeds

Every other Friday

6:30 – 7:30 p.m., Main Campus, E-041

The meeting time is subject to change. For more information about how to join seeds, you can contact the Editor in Chief’s email, Clay Cofre, at [email protected]

Que Ondee Sola (QOS)

Every Monday, starting on Sept. 26

1 – 2 p.m., Main Campus, E-041

For more information about becoming a member for QOS, you can contact this email: [email protected]

Club Crossover Events

Friendsgiving

Nov. 22

7 – 9 p.m. Main Campus, Alumni Hall

Come check out this collaboration event with the Pinoy Club, Student Media Board, and more clubs organizations! 

Music Corner

WZRD 88.7

Every Thursday at 10:00 p.m.

11/17 – Muddle- Post Hardcore/Emo

11/22 – Ruinous Time Blade – Heavy Metal

Repeatables

“The Revolutionists” by Lauren Gunderson

7:30 – 9:30 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday Nov. 16 – 18 in person

2:00 – 3:00 p.m. and 7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Friday Nov. 19 in livestream

Main Campus, Stage Center Theater, Building F

Stage Center Theatre presents “The Revolutionists,” a new play about four very real women who lived boldly in France during the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror. A comedic-drama centered around Paris, 1793 Directed by CMT faculty member John Bliss.

Tickets are free for current NEIU students, faculty and staff with valid NEIU ID at the Welcome Desk on the Main Campus or at tix.com.

Fine Arts Center Gallery: Selva Aparicio: “Ex Voto”

Nov. 16-25 (through the 25th)

Monday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Tuesday: 12 – 5 p.m.

Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Thursday: 12 – 5 p.m.

Friday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Aparicio’s work invites viewers to look at the endurance of memory related to the space in which they grow from their environment. The installation presents a tapestry of flowers and decorations collected from the garbage of cemeteries. 

University Wide Events

Wednesday Nov. 16

Native American Peoples Heritage Month: Indigenous Perspective in Science: Billie Warren (Pokagon Potawatomi)

6 – 8 p.m., Main Campus, Room BBH 102

Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs hosts Billie Warren, who will talk about how opening up your perspectives in science from an Indigenous lens. This is open to the public.

CCAS CenterSpace Day of the Dead Workshop Series: Nopales Tote Bag

6:30 – 8:30 p.m., El Centro

Northeastern Illinois University’s Center for College Access and Success (CCAS) CenterSpace hosts their annual Day of the Dead workshop series. Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is a celebration of life and death. While the holiday originated in Mexico, it is celebrated all over Latin America.

The Jean Burke Carlson and Diane Berger Ehrlich Memorial Lectureship: Dr. Moogega Cooper

7 – 9 p.m., Main Campus, Alumni Hall and Golden Eagles Room

The Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education (GCOE) hosts the Annual Jean Burke Carlson and Diane Berger Ehrlich Memorial Lectureship. This year’s lecture will be given by Dr. Moogega Cooper, who is a part of the famous Jet Propulsion Laboratory team. A reception will immediately follow. The event is free and open to the public.

Chicago Film Society: “Take a Letter, Darling”

7:30 – 9:30 p.m., Main Campus, Auditorium

Directed by Mitchell Leisen. This film was made in 1942, film used 35mm from Universal. The tickets are at $5 with a Northeastern ID; $10 for the public.

Graduate Lecture Recital: Nils Higdon, Percussion

7:30 – 9:30 p.m., Main Campus, Fine Arts Center 160A – Recital Hall

NEIU Music student Nils Higdon presents his lecture recital on percussion.

Stage Center Theatre Presents “The Revolutionists” by Lauren Gunderson

7:30 – 9:30 p.m., Main Campus, Stage Center Theatre, Building F

Stage Center Theatre presents “The Revolutionists,” a new play about four very real women who lived boldly in France during the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror. Directed by Communication, Media and Theatre faculty member John Bliss.

Thursday, Nov 17

Board of Trustees Meeting 

1:00 p.m. CCICS, Donn F. Bailey Legacy Hall

Public comments must be submitted in writing to Karl Voigt at [email protected] by 4 p.m. Wednesday, Nov 16.

Request must include:

• the name and contact information of the person wishing to speak
  • the name of the group represented
  • a summary of the presentation

Eagle Fest

10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Main Campus, Alumni Hall

Celebrating spring enrollment. Open to all undergraduate students registered for the Spring 2023 semester. Chance to win t-shirts, prizes, an Apple Watch, and $100 Amazon gift card.

NEIU Jazz Combo

3:05 – 4:05 p.m., Main Campus, Recital Hall

The NEIU Jazz Combo, under the direction of Steve Duncan, presents an afternoon performance of jazz from a variety of eras.

Native American Peoples Heritage Month: Advancing Native Political Leadership on and off Reservations

6 – 7:30 p.m., Main Campus, Pedroso Center

The Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs hosts a talk addressing the need for increased Native American representation in elected and appointed offices throughout the country. Speaker Anthony Tamez-Pochel (First Nations Oji-Cree/Black) is the National Program and Digital Associate for Advance Native Political Leadership. Open to the public.

Bronzeville History Writing Workshops at CCICS 

6:30 – 8:30 p.m. CCICS

Delve into the rich history of the Bronzeville Neighborhood. Topics include arts, history, stories, and family history of the area to be preserved in the CCICS Library. 

NEIU Orchestra

7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Building E 106A – Auditorium

The NEIU Orchestra, under the direction of Dr. Benjamin Firer, presents an event program of works for symphonic orchestra.

Friday Nov. 18

Jewel Box Series: Pablo Estigarribia

7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Main Campus, Recital Hall

Pablo Estigarribia is a Latin Grammy nominee and world-renowned tango pianist, arranger and composer.

The Jewel Box Series brings local, national and international artists to NEIU’s 175-seat Recital Hall or 425-seat Auditorium. The Jewel Box Series is recognized for quality, diversity, innovation and collaboration among the campus and community. Tickets: $10; $18.50; $26

Saturday Nov. 19

10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. CCICS

2 – 4 p.m., Main Campus, Stage Center Theatre, Building F

Monday Nov. 21

Native American Peoples Heritage Month: The Role of Libraries & Collections in Cultural Revitalization

12 – 1:30 p.m., Online, Via Zoom

This was postponed from Nov, 7. The Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs hosts a brown bag lunch discussion that will focus on accountability and action and the role(s) of libraries and collections in cultural revitalization. Speaker Analú Lopez (Guachichil/Xi’úi), is the Ayer Librarian and Assistant Curator of American Indian and Indigenous Studies for the Newberry Library. This is open to the public.

Graduate Lecture Recital: Gerardo Martinez, Violin 

5 – 6 p.m. Main Campus, Fine Arts Center 160A – Recital Hall

NEIU graduate student Gerardo Martinez presents their lecture recital on violin.

Voice Studios Showcase

7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Main Campus, Fine Arts Center 160A – Recital Hall

NEIU vocal students present an evening showcase of works for solo singers.

Tuesday Nov. 22

Songwriters Showcase

7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Main Campus, Auditorium

NEIU Music students, under the direction of Dr. Nelson Mandrell, present an evening of original works, composed during the Fall 2022 semester.

Wednesday Nov. 23

Chicago Film Society: “It’s a Gift”

Directed by Norman Z. McLeod • 1934 •  35mm from Universal

Northeastern Illinois University’s Department of Communication, Media and Theatre has partnered with the Chicago Film Society (CFS) to make NEIU the institutional home for the CFS screenings of rare and classic 35mm film prints. View the complete Fall 2022 schedule.

Purchase tickets at the door: $5 with a Northeastern ID; $10 for the general public. Audience members are encouraged to wear a face mask and be socially distanced while seated.

Monday Nov. 28

Native American Peoples Heritage Month: Native 101

5 – 7 p.m. Main Campus, Pedroso Center Room B 159) north lobby

To conclude Native American Peoples Heritage month, join Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs Coordinator Fawn Pochel (Saulteaux) for a Native 101 presentation. Participants will learn some basic history and terminology in relation to Native Peoples of the United States and Canada while examining the legacy of settler colonialism on Indigenous populations, and also explore how stereotypes, cultural appropriation, ethnic fraud and the media impact tribal peoples.

Tuesday Nov. 29

Percussion Studio Showcase

3:05 – 4:05 p.m. Main Campus, Fine Arts Center 160A – Recital Hall

The NEIU Percussion Studio and NEIU Percussion Ensemble, under the direction of Tina Laughlin, present an afternoon recital of works for solo and chamber percussion ensembles in NEIU’s Recital Hall.

NEIU Wind Ensemble

The NEIU Wind Ensemble, under the direction of Dr. Travis Heath, presents an evening of music for wind ensemble, including a transrciption of Modest Mussorgsky’s iconic “Pictures at an Exhibition.”

Wednesday Nov. 30

String Studios Showcase 

3 – 4 p.m. Main Campus, Fine Arts Center 160A – Recital Hall

NEIU string students present an afternoon recital of solo and chamber works for violin, viola, cello, and double bass.

Brass Studios Showcase

5 – 6:30 p.m. Main Campus, Fine Arts Center 160A – Recital Hall

NEIU brass students present an afternoon recital of solo and chamber works for French horn, trumpet, trombone, and tuba.

CCAS CenterSpace Day of the Dead Workshop Series at El Centro

6:30 – 8:30 p.m. El Centro

Paint and Sip*: Llama or Loteria

$6 workshop fee

*Coffee, hot chocolate and tea will be provided.

Off-Campus Events

Latin Dance Class: Cha -Cha – Cha and more!

December 3, 10, and 17, 2022

1605 N Troy, Humboldt Park, Chicago

Over three weeks, Humboldt Park local and NEIU student, Wilfredo Camacho, will teach you the basics steps for Salsa, Cha-Cha, Bachata, Merengue, and Cumbia. As the class progresses you will also learn intricate turns and the different dance styles for each. Free, but limited to 10 participants each class. You can register with the Chicago Public Library or in person.