Campus Life Calendar 10/29-11/5

Another week, another round of applause for NEIU campus events (such as the latest Jewel Box concert)!

TRIO Leading and Learning Week

MONDAY, OCT. 28 – FRIDAY, NOV. 1, 9:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m., Ronald Williams Library (LIB 412)

The TRIO Leading and Learning Week is an opportunity for students, staff, faculty and community members to share knowledge that impacts success in higher education. It is a five-day individual development opportunity coordinated by the TRIO Student Support Services Program with presentations and workshops by faculty, staff, students and NEIU supporters. Free and open to all NEIU students, faculty and staff. For more information and to register for sessions, please visit: bit.ly/RegisterForSessions, or contact: TRIO Student Support Services, [email protected], (773) 442-4971.

Stage Center Theatre Open Call “Native Garden” Auditions

TUESDAY, OCT. 29, 3-4 p.m. and 6-8:30 p.m. and WEDNESDAY, OCT. 30, 6-8:30 p.m., Stage Center Theatre, Building F (F 111)

Open call auditions will be held for Stage Center Theatre’s Spring 2020 production of “Native Gardens” by Karen Zacarias. For more information, please see neiu.edu/SCT or contact: [email protected] or Adam Goldstein, [email protected]

TUESDAY, OCT. 29

LGBTQ+ Domestic Violence: Innovations in Survivor Services, Policies and Research

12:30-1:30 p.m., Pedroso Center (B 159) 

The Pedroso Center invites the university community to a panel discussion titled “LGBTQ+ Domestic Violence: Innovations in Survivor Services, Policies and Research.” Contact: Pedroso Center, [email protected], (773) 442-5449.

Jazz Combo Performance

3:05 p.m., Recital Hall (FA 160A)

Jazz Combo is directed by Steve Duncan. Improvisation and small group interaction are the focus of NEIU’s Jazz Combos. The ensemble performs several times throughout the year, both on and off campus. Contact: Concert Coordinator, Asher Waldron,

[email protected], (773) 442-5921.

The 82 Writers/Reading (***NOTE: LOCATION CHANGE)

4-6 p.m. Ronald Williams Library (LIB 022)

It’s the Creative Writing Minor’s first reading of the fall semester! Mark your calendars for a transcendent convention of noted Chicago writers: Jacob Saenz, poet and editor, Jac Jemc, author of “False Bingo” and “The Grip of It” and Kristiana Rae Colón, poet, playwright (“Octagon,” “Good Friday”) and educator. Contact: Olivia Cronk, [email protected], (773) 442-5958. 

Filipino American History Month: Open Mic Night

6-8:30 p.m., Pedroso Center (B 159)

The university community is invited to celebrate Filipino American History Month! Pin@y Club is sponsoring an Open Mic Night featuring music, dance, poetry and comedy. Contact: Rae Joyce Baguilat, [email protected], (773) 442-4686.

NEIU Chamber Singers & University Chorus

7:30 p.m., Recital Hall (FA 160A)

A select and auditioned ensemble, Chamber Singers, directed by Dr. Christopher Owen, rehearses twice each week and performs with the University Chorus. The limited size of this ensemble requires acute musical ability and allows the singers to delve more deeply into the study of performance, practice and style. Chamber Singers also perform with the University Orchestra. Concert Coordinator, Asher Waldron, [email protected], (773) 442-5921.

WEDNESDAY, OCT. 30

Chicago Film Society 35mm Film Screening: GHOST CATCHERS 

7:30 – 10 p.m., Auditorium

Directed by Edward F. Cline • 1944 • 35mm from Universal • 68 min

Preceded by short: Andy Clyde in “Spook to Me” (Harry Edwards, 1945) – 35mm – 17 min

For a full synopsis, please see: chicagofilmsociety.org/calendar/current-season/#ghostcatchers. NEIU’s Department of Communication, Media and Theatre has partnered with the Chicago Film Society (CFS) to make NEIU the institutional home for the CFS screenings of rare and classic 35mm film prints. Tickets cost $3 with a Northeastern ID and $7 for the general public. Contact: Communication, Media and Theatre, [email protected], (773) 442-5950. 

THURSDAY, OCT. 31

Nett Day 10: The Meaning of Living in a Rapidly Changing Era of Technology

10 a.m.-8:30 p.m., SU Alumni Hall North

Established in 2010, Nett Day at NEIU is an event that celebrates technology, the way we interact with it and how we use it to improve society. The day’s schedule includes keynote speakers and workshops that make us think about human interaction with technology, as well as give us hands-on experience with new ways of using technology to interact with the world. The event will also feature vendors that help promote new technology to our students. Free and open to the public.

MONDAY, NOV. 4

“Handmade by Robots” Fine Arts Exhibition Opens

Fine Arts Center Gallery (Fall 2019 Hours: Monday through Friday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.)

An exhibition that showcases Chicago-based artists who use digital media to assist, influence or augment their process or final piece. A reception will take place Friday, Nov. 15, 6-9 p.m. Open Nov. 4-27. Contact: Kim Ambriz, Interim Gallery Director, [email protected]

MOSTRA Brazilian Film Fest Screening: “O Processo” (“The Trial”)

2-5:30 p.m., SU 214

MOSTRA is the largest Brazilian film festival in the Midwestern U.S. The film “O Processo” (“The Trial”) documents the trial of Dilma Rousseff, the former president of Brazil , focusing on the defense team that struggles to prove her innocence against a majority vote by a Congress riddled with corruption. A tale of betrayal and corruption, the film presents Rousseff’s personal story. Imprisoned and tortured by the country’s former military dictatorship, she now faces impeachment following accusations of fiscal crimes. Free and open to the public. Contact: Brandon Bisbey, [email protected], (773) 442-4622. 

Business Innovation and Growth (BIG) Center Entrepreneur Education Speaker Series: Dean DeLisle

5:30-7:30 p.m., BBH 102

Meet Dean DeLisle, CEO of Forward Progress, Inc., and podcast host of “Influence Factory.” DeLisle will be speaking on “How to Convert Connections to Clients: 5 Steps to Monetize Your Network.”  DeLisle is a networking aficionado at his core. At his 15-year-old influencer marketing company Forward Progress, DeLisle leads his core team in providing integrated marketing solutions using a proven coaching and consulting methodology, consistently driving clients’ business growth. Dean is the host of his own podcast, “Influence Factory,” where he enjoys exclusive interviews with leading business influencers. His recent book, “FIRST, The Street Guide to Digital Business Influence”, gives the reader proven, essential social teaming tools to replicate that level of success. FREE. For more information and to reserve your spot, please visit: bit.ly/33z6lYV

TUESDAY, NOV. 5

Symposium on Genocide and Human Rights Research in Africa and the Diaspora

9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Golden Eagles Room (SU 103)

The sixth annual Symposium on Genocide and Human Rights Research in Africa and the Diaspora is titled “Prevention and Repair.” The keynote speaker is Dr. Jermaine McCalpin from New Jersey City University, who will deliver “Dignifying Suffering: Reparations and Restorative Justice in Deeply Divided Societies.” Free and open to the public. For more information, please see: neiu.edu/symposium-genocide-and-human-rights. Or contact: African and African American Studies, (773) 442-4553.