Campus life calendar: 10/8 – 10/15

Get your weekly fill of campus events!

Fulbright Student Seminar

Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2-4 p.m., SU 003

NEIU students are invited to a seminar delivered by a Fulbright Student Ambassador who will talk about an international education and work experience. This information will be key if you are interested in knowing what the Fulbright program is and learning more about the scholarship, education and work experience abroad. Contact: Dr. Ana Gil Garcia, [email protected]

Pedroso Center Open House & Founder Celebration

Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2-5 p.m., Pedroso Center (B 159)

Join the Pedroso Center for their  annual open house and celebration of founder Dean Murrell J. Duster, former Associate Vice President for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs and College of Education Professor Emeriti. The program begins at 2:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. 

Intramural 4v4 Volleyball Tournament

Tuesday, Oct. 8, 3 p.m., P.E. Complex

Open to all students! Feel free to sign up with your friends as a team or sign up as a free agent! Registration is open on IMLeagues and will be open until time of event. All you need to do is create a FREE IMLeagues account (if you don’t already have one) and register on the IMleagues server. If you have any questions or for further information, contact Mig Torres at [email protected].

STEM Hispanic Heritage Celebration

Tuesday, Oct. 8, 3-5 p.m., Golden Eagles Room (SU 103)

Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month with the Student Center for Science Engagement (SCSE) and several NEIU student organizations, including the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SANCAS). The event will include a guest speaker and a potluck. Hosted by the Student Center for Science Engagement.

ARS, A Reading Series (RESCHEDULED, NEW LOCATION)

Tuesday, Oct. 8, 5:45 p.m., LWH 3071

Come support NEIU creative writers, read their work and contribute your own voice. There is still time to reserve a 10-minute slot to showcase your work. Brought to you by Seeds Journal and Rebel Poetry. Contact Brice McGourty at [email protected] if interested.

Eric Aviles Performance and Healing Conversation: “Where You From? What You Be About?”

Thursday, Oct. 10, 10:50 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., NEIU Auditorium

Thursday, Oct. 10, 3-4 p.m., Pedroso Center (B 159)

Proyecto Pa’Lante and the Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity & Intercultural Affairs invite the NEIU community to a performance by New York City-based teaching artist and activist Eric Aviles titled “Where You From? What You Be About?,” an autobiographical solo play set in the historically Puerto Rican neighborhood of Humboldt Park in Chicago. Seamlessly moving from the 1980s to the present, this interdisciplinary play tells a coming-of-age story about poverty, violence and the need for healing. Contact: Proyecto Pa’Lante, [email protected]

Following up from the morning performance, Eric Aviles will be holding a healing conversation on culture and identity from 3-4 p.m. in the Pedroso Center (B 159).

Ombuds Day & Conflict Resolution Month Celebration

Thursday, Oct. 10, 1-2 p.m., Alumni Hall North (SU 115)

The University community is invited to celebrate Ombuds Day (Oct. 10) and Conflict Resolution Month (Oct.) with NEIU Ombuds Tyler Smith who will host an interactive exploratory session about conflict. This session will explore questions such as: what is conflict, and what factors shape the way we experience and engage in conflict? What systems, structures or cultural characteristics enable conflict? What can we do in order to resolve/manage conflict productively, and what can we do, as members of the university community, to create a campus culture where conflict is addressed thoughtfully and effectively? The goal of this session is to simply inspire thinking and learning through the sharing of knowledge, experiences and perspectives related to conflict. Contact: Tyler Smith, [email protected]

LGBTQ+ & Domestic Violence Awareness Resource Fair

Thursday, Oct. 10, 1-4 p.m., University Commons (rain site: Village Square)

The Pedroso Center and the NEIU community are celebrating and recognizing National Coming Out Day and Domestic Violence Awareness Month with a community resource fair. There will be free HIV/STI testing, raffle drawing, interactive and educational activities to learn more about the LGBTQ+ community and domestic violence. Contact: Dear Aunaetitrakul, [email protected]

Biology Research Seminar

Thursday, Oct. 10, 2:45-4:45 p.m., BBH 102

Notre Dame University Postdoctoral Research Associate Dr. Michael Mahon’s research focuses on the temporal dynamics and spatial structuring of ecological communities. In particular, he is interested in how land use, climate and biotic factors drive patterns of terrestrial biodiversity and community assembly. His approach employs field-based experiments in terrestrial communities and quantitative approaches and statistical modeling of biodiversity and communities across local to regional scales. Reception to follow. Contact: Dorina Bizhga, [email protected]

Fall Break Horseback Riding

Friday, Oct. 11, 10:45 a.m. to 3:15 pm., 8290 S Kean Ave., Willow Springs, IL 60480

Join the Outdoor Adventure Program for an hour-long trail ride at Memory Lane Stables in Willow Springs, IL. The cost of this trip is $32, to be paid online. This covers the cost of trail riding and a rider’s license (required by Cook County law). Meet at Memory Lane Stables at 10:45, where waivers can be filled out and turned in (if not previously filled out), and begin preparation at 11:00 a.m. Students may ride with one of  two groups, one from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m and the second from 1-2 p.m. Please bring a sack lunch to eat. A state-issued photo ID is also required. You will be responsible for your own transportation to and from the stables. You may cancel and receive a full refund by Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 12:00 p.m. Any cancellations after will NOT be refunded. Please register at: https://apm.activecommunities.com/crneiu/Activity_Search/1795. For more information, please contact Sammy Jo Hosler at [email protected], or by calling 773-442-4176.

Mental Health First Aid Training Class

Saturday, Oct. 12, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., location?

Student Counseling Services is once again offering free Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training this semester to members of the university community as a way to empower staff, faculty and students to respond in a caring, compassionate manner to potential mental health crises within our community. MHFA is an eight-hour certification course designed to help communities better understand mental illness and respond to mental health-related emergencies. It is not necessary to have any prior experience with mental health training; MHFA is intended for anyone who is interested in learning more about mental illness and addiction and how to help others. The course will be led by certified Mental Health First Aid trainers from the Sertoma Centre, with assistance from Director of Student Counseling Services Nancy Easton, Psy.D. To register, please send an email to [email protected] containing the following information: 1) Your name 2) The name of your department (for staff/faculty) OR your student ID number (for students). For additional questions, email [email protected] or call Student Counseling Services at (773) 442-4650.

FAFSA Preparation Workshops

Monday – Thursday, Oct. 14-17, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 2-6 p.m.; and Friday, Oct. 18, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.,  LIB 402.

TRIO Student Support Services is offering numerous workshops to help students complete their FAFSA correctly and on time. Filing now increases your chances of receiving the maximum award, so don’t wait. You must bring: W2 forms (current or previous year), FAFSA pin or password and your parent’s tax return (if you are dependent). These documents are needed to complete your application. TRIO is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. To request disability accommodations call TRIO at (773) 442-4971 or contact Student Disability Services at (773) 442-4595 two days in advance.

In Conversation with Artist and Author Verónica Gerber Bicecci

Tuesday, Oct. 15, 3-5 p.m., Pedroso Center 

Verónica Gerber Bicecci is a visual artist who writes. She is the author of Mudanza (2010; Almadía, 2017) and Empty Set (translated from Spanish by Christina MacSweeney, Coffee House Press, 2018), which won the International Aura Estrada Literature prize and the Otra Mirada Cálamo prize. Her most recent projects are: el vocabulario b (2019) in muca Roma, Mexico City and lamaquinadistopica.xyz (2018) in the Museo de Arte Abstracto Manuel Felguérez. This program is produced in collaboration with the Lit & Luz Festival (MAKE Literary Productions), the Department of English, the Department of World Languages and Cultures and the Angelina Pedroso Center for Cultural Affairs and Diversity.

LGBTQ+ Coming Out Support Group

3-4 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 15, Pedroso Center (B 159), Conference Room

Nothing else to add about it? I would say at least a contact email.

Latinx Dance Showcase

Tuesday, Oct. 15, 6-9 p.m., Alumni Hall

Close off the Latinx Heritage Month at NEIU with a night filled with Latin music, dances and food! Doors open at 6 p.m. Hosted by the NEIU Colony of Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Rho Chapter of Alpha Psi Lambda National, Inc. and the Angelina Pedroso Center. If you have any questions, please contact: [email protected].

The next rendition of the Campus Life Calendar will be published online on Tuesday, Oct. 15. The weekly published version will be an 8-day calendar that spans from Tuesday of publication through the subsequent Tuesday.

Please send events you wish to be included or questions about the Campus Life Calendar to Grace Yu at [email protected]