NEIU’s nurse Lasko discusses vaping

NEIU’s nurse Lasko discusses vaping

Michael Gross, Writer

There has been a recent outbreak of vaping related deaths and lung illnesses across the country, including one case in Illinois. There have also been over 800 reported cases of lung illnesses attributed to vaping. These reports span nearly the entire U.S. with cases reported in 46 of the 50 U.S. states.

Health officials as well as the U.S. government is trying to figure out why the sudden outbreak is occurring and what can be done to combat this development. Jennifer Lasko, a nurse at NEIU’s campus, believes that part of the problem is that vaping companies over the past few years have targeted the younger generation with the idea that vaping is a healthier alternative to smoking.

Vaping companies cite the fact that one can purchase vaping fluid without nicotine in it. However, Lasko said, “unfortunately there were just not enough studies done to show what type of effects they have.”

Lasko also said she wouldn’t recommend vaping as an alternative to smoking cigarettes. In fact, she would suggest that if people are going to smoke, they should just smoke regular cigarettes. Lasko suggests that the reasoning behind this statement is that it takes 30 to 40 years for the full effects of cigarette smoking to take its toll on a person’s health. On the other hand, she says it only takes two years for vaping to take its full effect. When it comes to litigation on vaping, Lasko believes that vaping should be banned altogether because anything other than water vapor should not be ingested into someone’s lungs.

Rachel Willard, a student at NEIU who vapes, has a different perspective on this issue. She only buys vaping fluids from smoke shops. Rachel is skeptical about vaping being hazardous to people’s health and believes the issue comes from where people are purchasing their vaping fluids. Willard said, “I think there is a big market for cheap, may be poorly made, Black Market vape liquids or the Black Market THC cartridges.”

Willard doesn’t believe vaping should be banned because, according to her, there are more cases of illnesses from people drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes than from vaping. She is also concerned if vaping were to be banned, people would just result to more dangerous ways of obtaining vaping products, much like what happened with prohibition in the 1920’s and 30’s.

Willard said she plans to continue to vape despite the recent outbreak of deaths and illnesses. She also raised the possibility of a conspiracy that tobacco companies want vaping banned so they can continue to sell their products in greater numbers.