Campus Life Calendar 9/10 – 9/23

Student Employment On-Campus Job Fair
Tuesday, Sept. 10, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Alumni Hall (SU 115)
Looking for a part-time job while attending school? Here’s your opportunity to meet with on-campus departments! Bring copies of your résumé. Contact Maria Lebron at [email protected].

“Be NEIU”
Tuesday, Sept. 10, 3 p.m., University Commons (Quad)
Come take an aerial picture forming the shapes of the letters N-E-I-U. Wear NEIU blue. The first 40 students will receive a free NEIU T-shirt (sizes not guaranteed).

Womxn in STEM Mixer
Tuesday, Sept. 10, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., Student Center for Science Engagement (BBH 247)
Network with other women in STEM in the first mixer of this kind on campus.

Tug for Funds
Thursday, Sept. 12, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m., University Commons (Quad)
This event is a tug of war for developmental funds to be awarded towards your student organization. All welcome to participate. The event will take place rain or shine. Now accepting submissions and teams. Organized by Student Leadership Development. Email Albert at [email protected] to register your team and team name or if you have any questions.

Resume Development and Elevator Pitch Techniques
Thursday, Sept. 12, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., Student Union (SU) 214
Get tips on how to build a strong and effective résumé and learn how to develop a memorable elevator pitch – the skills to get the job! Light refreshments, cookies and job opportunities will be provided. Presented by Neville Maycock from Northrop Grumman.

Queer Career Series: How to Ace that Job Interview
Thursday, Sept. 12, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., Pedroso Center (B-159)
The Pedroso Center and Career Development are hosting the first session of our queer career series, on how to ace that job interview. Allies are welcome.

Daniel L. Goodwin Distinguished Lecture Series: Donna Brazile and Sean Spicer
Thursday, Sept. 12, 7:30 p.m. – 10 p.m., Recital Hall (FA 160A)
Have y’all heard about this one yet?
A couple of discussions will take place regarding Brazile’s and Spicer’s invitations to give the Goodwin Lecture at NEIU.

The day prior to the lecture:

• TEACH – IN / SPEAK – OUT / THINK TOGETHER
    Wednesday, Sept. 11, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., Pedroso Center (B-159)
    In the spirit of education and open debate, discussions will be framed around the following questions: Why should you care? Why are people upset about the speakers? What are the policies that harm people? How do we have political debate in the context of polarization and troubling politics? How do we have civil and civic engagement in the context of political polarization? Co-sponsored by the NEIU Chapter of University Professionals of Illinois (UPI), Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Student Government Association (SGA).
  • Follow-up:
    Tuesday, Sept. 17, 4 p.m. – 7 p.m., location TBD
    A follow-up has been tentatively planned, pending how the Sept. 12 lecture goes.

NEIU Weekend 2019
Friday, Sept. 13 and Saturday, Sept. 14, North Side Campus
Join NEIU alumni, students, parents, faculty, staff and neighbors for NEIU Weekend 2019. This campus-wide event has something for everyone.

• Fall Fest
    Friday, 4 p.m. – 10 p.m., University Commons (Quad) and Parking Lot J
    Food, beer garden. Outdoor games include inflatables, face painting, Hawaiian artist and balloonists. Music lineup includes The Breakfast Club, DJ Perry Donta’e and The Pack Drumline. Oh, and also T-Pain. T-Pain’s concert will take place in Parking Lot J outside of The Nest from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Entrance to the Fall Fest is free; food will be available for purchase. Sponsored by the Northeastern Programming Board.
  • Poetry and Pancakes
    Saturday, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m., Gazebo Courtyard (B-Wing Patio)
    This event will feature readings by alumni of the Creative Writing program hosted in the English Department. Also, pancakes!
  • 2019 La Copa Tournament
    Saturday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., PE Complex
    Celebrate Latinx/a/o Heritage Month with our annual soccer tournament, “La Copa.” We will have students, faculty, staff and alumni at all experience levels and of all genders participating. The winning team members of La Copa will each receive 1 ticket to the Chicago Fire home game on Sunday, Sept. 29.
  • Student & Alumni Picnic
    Saturday, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., University Commons (Quad)
    Food, beer garden and outdoor games that include inflatables, face painting, Hawaiian artist and balloonists. Plus live acoustic karaoke and a live kids concert. Registration is $10 per person, but is free to NEIU students and children under 12. Sponsored by Student Leadership Development (SLD).
  • NEIU’s 4th Annual Homecoming: Let’s Glow Crazy
    Saturday, 6 p.m. – 10 p.m., Alumni Hall (SU 115)
    Admission is FREE for students with valid ID, $5 for guests with valid ID. Come dance the night away! Presented by Black Caucus. ALL STUDENTS WELCOME!

Reception for Biennial Juried Art Alumni Exhibition
Friday, Sept. 13, 6 p.m – 9 p.m., Fine Arts Gallery (Building E)
A reception will be held for the current exhibition that runs Aug. 26–Sept. 20. This exhibition juried by Milllicent Kennedy, artist, curator and NEIU Art alumna, features work in all media by NEIU alumni who graduated with a major or minor degree in art. Free and open to the public. Please feel free to direct any questions to the Art Department at [email protected].

3v3 Tournament
Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, 11 a.m. registration, 12 p.m. tournament, PE Complex, Main Gym
Co-ed basketball tournament, $10 per team. FIBA rules (10 minutes or 21 points to win). Prizes will be awarded to first place and runner-up teams. Register beforehand (https://tinyurl.com/neiu-3v3tourney) or register at the event. Hosted by the NEIU Health and Physical Education Student Organization. Contact [email protected] with any questions.

Workshop: How to Turn a Career Fair into a Job Offer
Monday, Sept. 16, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., B119
To help ensure you are prepared to put your best foot forward at the Sept. 10 Student Employment Fair and the Sept. 17 COBM and Computer Science Career Fair, students are encouraged to attend workshops that will help walk you through the steps you should take before, during and after a career fair to increase the chances of getting that job offer. Walk-in Hours at Career Development in B-119 are also available: Tuesday, 10 a.m. –11 a.m., Wednesday 1 p.m. –2 p.m. and Thursday 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. Please feel free to contact Career Development for additional information at [email protected].

College of Business and Management (COBM) and Computer Science Career Fair
Tuesday, Sept. 17, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Alumni Hall
Find opportunities in business and management or computer science. Dress sharp and bring a résumé!

LGBTQ+ Coming Out Support Group
Tuesday, Sept. 17, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., Pedroso Center (B-159)
Every fourth Tuesday of the month. Sponsored by the Pedroso Center and Student Counseling Services. Contact [email protected] for more information.

What is the University Ombuds?
Wednesday, Sept. 18, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m., Golden Eagles Room (SU 103)
Do you know what an Ombuds does at a university? Do you have a university problem you need to resolve confidentially? This session, presented by University Ombuds Tyler Smith, will offer and opportunity to meet the new University Ombuds and learn about the role of and services provided by the Office of the Ombuds. Contact the Ombuds Office, [email protected].

History Department Lecture: Dr. Daniel Greene
Wednesday, Sept. 18, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Recital Hall (FA 160A)
A presentation by Newberry Library President Dr. Daniel Greene (as of Aug. 2019) regarding his work as curator of the exhibition “Americans and the Holocaust” at the National Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. Free and open to the public. Contact the History Department, [email protected].

Post Optional Training (OPT) Workshop
Thursday and Friday, Sept. 19 and 20, 4 p.m. – 6 p.m., Lech Walesa Hall (LWH) 1002
International students about the graduate: those who wish to extend their I-20 for 12 months after graduation, come learn the step-by-step application process on how to apply for OPT and what options there are after graduating. Contact: [email protected].

Want to submit an event? Email Grace Yu at [email protected].