Freshman Cohort Program Coming to CCICS This Fall

Kenisha Hoskins, Writer

College can be intimidating; almost every student experiences some level of anxiety during their first school year. Whether it’s an overwhelming course load, frustration with financial aid or fear of social interaction; anxiety is ever present.

As a result, these factors can affect how a student performs their first-year of college. It’s important that incoming freshmen at NEIU have a safe space that provides resources and assistance during their transition from high school into a college setting.

Starting fall of this year NEIU’s Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies (CCICS), will introduce the Freshmen Cohort Program (FPC). This program is aimed to  help NEIU’s incoming freshmen.

Incoming freshmen will benefit of smaller class sizes, specialized student advising, a range of multidisciplinary courses and classes taught by professors committed to helping students grow personally and professionally. The FPC is a beneficial way for students to learn in a tight-knit classroom environment.

Shonda Ghoston, recruitment specialist, said “The Freshmen Cohort Program will be used as a tool to increase retention and build community.”

Throughout the first year, students will receive comprehensive academic support, learn in an environment that fosters community team-building and leadership skills.

Nekenya Walker, coordinator, said, “It is important for incoming freshmen at NEIU to have a safe space that allows them to learn in an environment that is less stressful… .Incoming freshmen will receive intrusive advising which will assist them in being more effective in their communities, families and workplace.”