The Independent

The Independent

Archival Political Buttons in the Ronald Williams Library

Archival political pins in the Ronald Williams Library. Display set up by Digital Scholarship Librarian and Assistant Professor Alyssa Vincent, Social Sciences Librarian and Assistant Professor Ed Remus and Administrative Assistant Bonnie Pfeiffelman.

Nicole F. Anderson

Nicole F. Anderson

Nicole F. Anderson, News and Co-Managing Editor

Political buttons from the last several decades had the dust brushed off of them to be displayed in Ronald Williams Library on NEIU’s main campus.

“While doing some summer clean-out of closets in the library, I came across a collection of political buttons that had been included with a donation of books in a storage locker some years ago. The box was put into a closet and forgotten,” said Bonnie Pfeiffelman, Ronald Williams Library administrative assistant in an email to Mike Hines that was forwarded to the Independent.

“It is a veritable time capsule of local, regional and national politics. We sometimes tend to think politics today are so much less civil than in the past, but really it’s just the medium that has changed. We thought given the imminent election, it would be timely to display them,” said Pfeiffelman.

Digital Scholarship Librarian and Assistant Professor Alyssa Vincent and Social Sciences Librarian and Assistant Professor Ed Remus helped Pfeiffelman setup the display case.

The Ronald Williams Library’s building hours are:

Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Saturday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Sunday: 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.

About the Contributor
Nicole “Nic” F. Anderson (she/her/hers) is the Independent’s co-managing and news editor. She is a senior at NEIU and majoring in communications, media and theatre.
Anderson was the previous editor-in-chief for both Wilbur Wright College’s newspaper, The Wright Times, and the literary magazine, The Wright Side. Her work has also been published in “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Confident and Curvy,” SEEDS and Rebellious Magazine.
Her fictional short-story, “The Bottle of Gin,” won first place in the Daredevil’s writing competition in 2016. In Aug. 2018, Anderson published the first of a three-part queer murder mystery booklet, “Dead in New York City.”
In her very sparse free time, Anderson writes for her own blog, yungmiga.com, an online “queer media” platform, which focuses on current events in Chicago’s LGBTQ+ community.
Anderson can always be spotted around campus with a large cup coffee in one hand and a notebook in the other. She loves hearing from students and is always willing to sit down and chat.

She hopes to continue seeking, writing and publishing the truth and to work for a major news organization in the future.

NIC ANDERSON’S SOCIAL MEDIA

Instagram: @nihcool

Instagram: @yungmiga

Twitter: @nihcool_

Twitter: @yungmiga