The Independent

The Independent

Eagle Fest: A Celebration of Registration

Nicole F. Anderson, News and Co-Managing Editor

Student participating in the extra-large jenga at Eagle Fest.

NEIU students registered for the spring 2019 semester lined up in front of Alumni Hall to attend “Eagle Fest,” a celebration of early registration. Students were able to socialize with peers, play games, have their faces painted with a miniature sugar skull and eat pizza on Thursday, Nov. 1.

Freshman mentor and NEIU student Jessie Miller said the event is to help “change the culture, register early and build community at NEIU.”

President Gibson attended the fest to congratulate attendees on registering early and to announce the contest prize winner for the raffle contest. NEIU student Noel Alfaro won NEIU swag such as a string-bag, water bottle, hat and sweatshirt.

About the Contributor
Nicole “Nic” F. Anderson (she/her/hers) is the Independent’s co-managing and news editor. She is a senior at NEIU and majoring in communications, media and theatre.
Anderson was the previous editor-in-chief for both Wilbur Wright College’s newspaper, The Wright Times, and the literary magazine, The Wright Side. Her work has also been published in “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Confident and Curvy,” SEEDS and Rebellious Magazine.
Her fictional short-story, “The Bottle of Gin,” won first place in the Daredevil’s writing competition in 2016. In Aug. 2018, Anderson published the first of a three-part queer murder mystery booklet, “Dead in New York City.”
In her very sparse free time, Anderson writes for her own blog, yungmiga.com, an online “queer media” platform, which focuses on current events in Chicago’s LGBTQ+ community.
Anderson can always be spotted around campus with a large cup coffee in one hand and a notebook in the other. She loves hearing from students and is always willing to sit down and chat.

She hopes to continue seeking, writing and publishing the truth and to work for a major news organization in the future.

NIC ANDERSON’S SOCIAL MEDIA

Instagram: @nihcool

Instagram: @yungmiga

Twitter: @nihcool_

Twitter: @yungmiga