Groovin’ with Gibson: Zumba with the President

Amaris E. Rodriguez, Opinions Editor

On Tuesday Sept. 11 President Gibson was the main attraction for “Zumba with the President” which was held in the University Commons as part of her Inauguration Week.

Gibson donned a white NEIU t-shirt with the slogan, “Be you, be well,” on the back while she danced with NEIU staff and students. Gibson continued to showcase her NEIU spirit by wearing blue sneakers with gold shoe laces.

The Zumba class was led by Fabio Barros, an instructor at Campus Recreation. Attendees danced to the sounds of the legendary female Cuban-American singer Celia Cruz’s song, “Le Nena Tiene Tumbao,” and Whitney Houston’s song, “I Want to Dance with Somebody.”

Melanny Buitron, a NEIU student and student leadership development employee, was one of the people dancing in the heat with President Gibson and used the opportunity to get in some exercise.

“I needed exercise and it was on campus, right after school. It was with the president so it was two good things in one event,” she said.

The Zumba session was held as a way for the newly-appointed president to be involved with students at NEIU and introduce herself.

Buitron said, “These events are important for the president to have, not just for inauguration but at the beginning of every semester … so that students get to know the president. I think a lot of students come and go and they don’t really know who the administration is. It is important to know because the president makes decisions on behalf of students.”

As Gibson continues her role as the president of NEIU, Buitron believes she will continue her outreach to students and faculty.

“I’ve met the president and she is very student-centered, very student oriented. She is always very engaged and wanting to help out students, not just at events. You pass her in the hallway and she will say ‘hi’ to you. She is really making that community feeling with students,” Buitron said.

Gibson continued participating in week-long inauguration celebrations leading up to her inauguration ceremony on Thursday at the University Commons at 3 pm.

Zumba classes are available to NEIU students on Tuesdays 1-2 pm and Thursdays 2- 2:45 pm at Campus Recreation.