Categories:

Dr. Katrina Bell-Jordan Becomes 8th President of NEIU

President Dr. Bell Jordan In blue regalia wearing the presidential medallion. She is looking to the side holding the University Orb
President Dr. Katrina Bell Jordan after the Ceremony heading towards Ronald Williams Library
Ryland Roberts

Dr. Katrina Bell-Jordan was inaugurated as NEIU’s eighth president. On the lawn of the NEIU’s University Commons, in front of a gathering of students, professors, staff, and guests from across the country and around the world on Oct. 4, 2024.

The stage for the inauguration prior to the start of the event. (Ryland Roberts)

“This, the inauguration of a new president, is a defining moment in the history of a school.” Telemundo Chicago newscaster Alfonso Gutiérrez said as the emcee of the inauguration.

Since 1997, President Bell-Jordan has worked at NEIU, in several roles, starting as an assistant professor in the Department of Communications, Media and Theater. She rose to department chair and then Dean of the College of Arts and Science before becoming Interim President of the University in 2023 after the previous president, Dr. Gloria Gibson, left the position.

“I felt that she would be absolutely fantastic in the role.” Shaunese Teamer, the Interim Associate Director of Annual Giving, said to the Independent, echoing a view held by many at NEIU. “I think her passion for the university, knowing the changes in being here for so long really gives her the great insight to say where the university should be going.”

President of the Student Government Association (SGA), Daniela Navarette, and Vice President of SGA, Damian Orosco, as they make their way towards the stage (Ryland Roberts)

During the ceremony, the President of the Student Government Association (SGA), Daniela Navarette, and Vice President of SGA, Damian Orosco, recited NEIU’s six core values: Integrity, excellence, access to opportunity, diversity, community, and empowerment through learning.

“It was great to refocus the university and audience on what it is that NEIU stands for, and ensuring that the student voice is represented as well,” SGA President Navarette said to the Independent after the ceremony.

Alderperson Jesse Fuentes and Que Ondee Sola Editor in Chief Xavier Morales-Greene (left to right) watching from the crowd, the inauguration of President Dr. Katrina Bell-Jordan. (Ryland Roberts)

“This caste medallion worn at commencement ceremonies and other official events combines traditional and contemporary elements of public higher education,” Former NEIU President Steinberg stated to the audience,“and it represents the history and the ongoing mission of the institution.”

Steinberg and former president Sharon K. Hahs presented the Presidential Medallion and Seal to President Bell-Jordan, together placing it around her neck. Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Shane Cofer, presented the Ceremonial Orb, to President Bell-Jordan, a symbol of authority and stewardship from the Board of Trustees, entrusting Bell-Jordan with the care of the NEIU community.

“As President, I have the tremendous opportunity to lead the university and advancing NEIU’s mission as a public, comprehensive university, providing access to an excellent and affordable education.” President Bell-Jordan said in her speech.

“Northeastern’s history and mission is rooted in the relationship between education excellence and empowerment and in the belief and reaffirmation year after year, that an accessible, high quality public education should be available to all students,” she said, centering the theme of her inauguration on education, excellence and empowerment. 

President Bell-Jordan’s husband and son (right to left) walking towards the stage to meet President Bell-Jordan (Ryland Roberts)

President Bell-Jordan went on to highlight NEIU’s contribution to Illinois and Chicago, pointing out that most NEIU alumni stay in Illinois after they graduate, and a substantial number of those remain in Chicago. “That means that when NEIU students are successful, their families are successful, their communities are successful, and our economy right here in Illinois is lifted up,” she said.

President Bell-Jordan went on to speak about NEIU’s role as a Minority Serving Institution, and as of recently a Hispanic Serving Institution and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution.

President Bell-Jordan’s Parents in the front row. (Ryland Roberts)

She also spoke of how her mother, who was seated in front of her with her family, moved north from rural Arkansas, seeking opportunity outside of a segregated South. She related this to the stories of many NEIU students, saying, “My mother and her family’s search for a better life is much like the journey of so many of our students and their families, not only to the United States and to the city of Chicago, but to any IU as first generation immigrant and refugee students seeking the same kind of access and opportunity.”

Kevin Baez, an NEIU grad student, and one of the student flag bearer, told the Independent he related to President Bell-Jordan’s speech, “I related a lot to what she was saying with the struggle of getting an education in the past, to just being a minority in general, that there’s specific obstacle in getting that higher education that other people may not face… so very much looking forward to her being the new president of NEIU.”

“I feel hopeful in some ways,“ Dr. Olivia Perlow, professor of sociology, told the Independent. “And in other ways, I feel like there’s been so much damage that has already been done,” Dr. Perlow said, referencing the previous administration of Dr. Gibson and lingering uneasiness in NEIU’s history. 

Dr. Gibson’s tenure was a time of much strife amongst NEIU faculty, staff and administrators. NEIU had seen falling enrollment, financial mismanagement and personnel scandals during Dr. Gibson’s administration. Amidst mounting pressure from shared governance bodies, including the Faculty Senate, NEIU’s Board of Trustees decided not to renew Dr. Gibson’s contract as president in 2023.

“I’m just praying that, you know, people will support her to get us where we need to go, because it will take more than a village,” Dr. Perlow said of President Bell-Jordan, ”Seeing is believing for me, so I have to see what’s going to happen before I get all celebratory.”

President Bell-Jordan around in the Quad, greeting people after the Inauguration Ceremony. (Ryland Roberts)

“I feel full of energy and kind of optimism and enthusiasm.” President Bell-Jordan said to the Independent after the ceremony. “This is a moment for the entire university, and what makes me full and what makes me optimistic is seeing that the people that are going to help move us forward are the people that were here today and the people who are watching at home.”

So far, NEIU seems to be moving forward. As interim president, Dr. Bell-Jordan and her administration produced NEIU’s first year-on-year increase in enrollment since 2010, according to an article in Crain’s Business.

Bell-Jordan planned on taking some time with her family after the ceremony and enjoy herself before attending all three campuses the following day for the Literacy and Book Drive, where people can sign up for a free Chicago Public Library card and bring in a book for the drive, “So it’ll be a full 36 more hours, but tonight, we’re gonna just have some dinner and hopefully some downtime.”