NEIU Star Awards/Elections Recap

Several tables full of people at Passing of the Gavel Ceremony on April 23, 2024 hosted in Alumni Hall.
Zachariah Simmons

Recently the NEIU Student Government Association (SGA) Elections were held from Saturday, April 6 until Friday, April 12. After the week of voting, ballots were tallied and the results were ratified on April 16, 2024. 

Former SGA President EJ Schumacher passing the gavel to new SGA President Daniella Navarette while Veronica Rodriguez watches them. (Zachariah Simmons)

Daniela Navarette was named President Elect with 48% of the vote; Damien Orozco was named Vice President Elect with 39%; Lea Bricel Limon was named Treasurer Elect with 51%; Hien Nguyen was named Secretary Elect with 79%, Tymeka Lowe was named Communications and PR Director Elect with 68%; Itzel Linares was named Student TrusteeElect with 77%; Asianna Martin was named Student Senator Elect with 72%; and Hesed Gaiya was named Council of Clubs Representative Elect with 71%.

As of April 23, 2024, all of these positions have been certified at the Passing of the Gavel Ceremony. Additionally, at this event, the STAR Awards were presented and members of SGA were honored for all of their hard work from the past academic year. Senator of the Year went to Alex Dolgin; Council of Clubs (COC) Representative of the Year went to Lea Brecel Limon; Committee Member of the Year also went to Lea Brecel Limon; Student Voice went to Daniela Navarrete; and the Heritage Award went to Dharmik Chhatbar.

Dharmik Chhatbar and Student Leadership Development Director Veronica Rodriguez pose for a picture at the Passing of the Gavel Ceremony. (Zachariah Simmons)

And in a nice bit of reciprocity and appreciation the members of SGA, specifically Dharmik Chhatbar, presented Student Leadership Development Director Veronica Rodriguez with a token of appreciation for her advising.