Northeastern Illinois University's student-run newspaper

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

NEIU Independent

Connect with us on Instagram
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the NEIU News!

Presidential Candidate Profile: Dr. Chuck Knepfle

Chuck Knepfle, Ph.D. is one of the four presidential candidates chosen by the NEIU’s Presidential Search Committee.

In 1991, Dr. Knepfle received a Bachelor of Applied Science, with a focus in Computer Systems Analysis, in Miami University and later in 2000 a Master degree in Business Administration and Management in Oxford, Ohio. He later went on to Clemson University in South Carolina and earned a PhD in Philosophy in 2018, with a focus on Higher Education and Administration.

Dr. Knepfle has had a history in working in higher education, with his current role as Vice President for Enrollment Management at Portland State University, having worked there since September 2019. He had also worked in past roles at Clemson University as the Director for Financial Aid from 2010 to 2015 and Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management from 2015 to 2019, as well at Miami University as the Director for Financial Aid from 2001 to 2010.   

“Working at Portland State, with its diverse, low-income, and first-generation student ratios that are very similar to NEIU’s, has granted me firsthand experience working at a university with a heavy reliance on tuition and enrollment.” Dr. Knepfle wrote in a letter to the Presidential Search Committee, to express his interest in the role.

Dr. Knepfle, like other candidates, had two days in which he was involved in several meetings across three NEIU campuses. On May 1st, Dr. Knepfle was involved in meetings with the Presidential Staff and Student Government Association students on the main campus, with the afternoon being on the El Centro campus, in order to get a tour, as well as talk with El Centro Staff, NEIU Foundation Board of Directors and the Alumni Advisory Board.

On May 2nd, Dr.Knepfle attended the main campus for meetings as well as going to CCICS in the afternoon, for a tour and a town hall meeting, which was focused on the NEIU Community and Neighbors.

During the Town Hall meeting, Dr. Knepfle presented what his first 100 days would look like as President. His powerpoint titled “Reimagining NEIU: A vision for NEIU’s promising future” featured several action plans outlined for the possible future, including looking to fill in vacant and interim Executive Team positions, meeting with current and prospective donors with the NEIU Foundation department, and to fully understand the NEIU operating Budget.

“I will embrace and enact necessary change within the shared government environment, and ensure that student success and their experience in the classroom are at the center of our efforts, all the while consistently communicating with the Board.” Dr. Knepfle stated toward the end of the letter to the Search Committee. 

His letter detailed several parts of his life related to higher education, such as getting a full ride scholarships to Miami University in Oxford, OH, helping with controlling budgets for universities and creating funds and developing different programs for student of color, such as creating a Native American Tuition program at Portland State to help those who are in federally recognized tribes to get in-state tuition.