NEIU set to introduce the George Floyd Social Justice Scholarship for fall semester

July 23, 2020

Photo of the George Floyd mural taken by photographer Shaull, L.

The death of George Floyd this past May resulted in nationwide protests, forcing U.S. leadership to take action to address police brutality and systemic racism.

On June 15, President Gibson announced the George Floyd Social Justice Scholarship. In an effort to honor the memory of Floyd and other victims of police brutality, Northeastern Illinois University will award $10,000 per semester to minority students beginning this fall semester. 

The idea was first introduced by North Central University President Dr. Scott Hagan. At the onset of June, Hagan challenged every university president across the United States to introduce a scholarship in Floyd’s name. According to NEIU Director of Development Sylvia Dobbins Daniels, a faculty member at NEIU saw Hagan’s declaration and brought it to President Gibson’s attention. 

While the scholarship qualification parameters are yet to be announced, Dr. Gibson announced her intention to appoint a committee to identify which students qualify for scholarship consideration.   

Northeastern Illinois University raised $40,000 of its initial $50,000 goal thus far via donations and pledges from community donors. The money raised will be used as an endowment for the scholarship.  

University representatives hope to use the George Floyd Social Justice Scholarship to support future Black American leadership amid a renewed push for racial justice. At NEIU, the scholarship demonstrates NEIU’s investment toward obtaining equality among its various demographics. According to President Gibson, the establishment of this scholarship “is one step toward a larger goal.”

“The NEIU Foundation is reaching out broadly to our Golden Eagle Community and beyond to request donations and pledges for the George Floyd [Social Justice] Scholarship,” said Dobbins Daniels. Donations of any size are welcome and help assist the university toward reaching its monetary goal. 

For more updates on the scholarship or for those who would like to donate money toward funding for the George Floyd Justice Scholarship can visit https://www.neiu.edu/alumni-and-giving/george-floyd-social-justice-scholarship