Phillip Noffz and Matthew Scanlan sparring at boxing club| Photo by Rachel Willard

NEIU student, boxing instructor dead in suspected homicide

July 9, 2020

Police discovered a Northeastern Illinois University student unresponsive in an Albany Park residence early Tuesday morning. According to police, the victim suffered from blunt force trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene.

A man allegedly beat Northeastern Illinois University sophomore Phillip Noffz with a baseball bat at approximately 6 a.m. Tuesday morning on the 4800 block of North Central Park Avenue, according to Chicago police. Police charged the victim’s brother, Carl Noffz, with felony first-degree murder.

Noffz was celebrated around on campus for reviving the university’s dormant boxing club. An avid athlete, the second-year physics major served as the boxing club’s president, widely promoting the camarederie offered through combat sports.

“A lot of people come in and they’re kind of hesitant to join because they don’t know anything about boxing or haven’t done boxing before,” said Noffz last Novemeber. “When they join, almost everyone really likes it.”

An autopsy ruled the death a homicide.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “NEIU student, boxing instructor dead in suspected homicide”

1. Terry Graf on July 9th, 2020 4:36 pm

I was completely shocked when I saw the news of Phillip’s death. What a tragic waste of a human life. He was a student in two of my classes, and he was scheduled to take a third this summer. He was a great young man: Funny, personable, and a gifted writer. He was also one of the best students whom I’ve had the honor of teaching in my 32 years here. My sincerest thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends.

2. Eddie on July 10th, 2020 12:18 pm

If the man’s death is a homicide, his brother is charged, then why is “allegedly beat” used? It sounds like doublespeak. From various media accounts, anyone can deduce the charged brother did it. ☹️

3. Margaret Noffz on January 17th, 2021 6:50 pm

I think you should show more pictures of Phillip when he was alive to show all he did and accomplished! He was my brother and I loved him very deeply! I hate Carl my other brother for killing Phillip! He should rot in hell for eternity!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

NEIU Independent • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Activate Search