Brommel-Hanson-McGee scholarship deadline extended

May 13, 2020

Northeastern Illinois University’s Communications, Media and Theater (CMT) department announced Wednesday that the deadline to apply for the Brommel-Hanson-McGee Award has been extended to May 25. 

The Brommel-Hanson-McGee Award is worth $800 and is recognized for its annual contributions to students enrolled in NEIU’s College of Arts and Sciences. Students can use the awarded funds to cover the costs of tuition, university fees and textbook purchases. 

According to an email distributed by the CMT department, “The College of Arts and Sciences will invite applications from qualified students who have faced challenges in pursuing their education and also demonstrated high academic achievement, potential for future success and community leadership at NEIU or externally.”

Eligibility is contingent on a number of factors. Interested students must be entering their senior year at NEIU with a minimum 3.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale. Students must have also declared their major in a minimum of one discipline under the College of Arts and Sciences.

Representatives from the CMT department encourage students with strong research backgrounds to apply. Students benefiting from published articles, past or current participation in academic programs such as the University Honors or McNair Scholars programs and students engaged in active leadership roles within the NEIU or adjacent communities will receive priority consideration. 

Interested students can apply here. Questions can be directed to Acting Associate Dean Tim Libretti at [email protected] or by calling (773) 442-5711.

Read the full announcement below:

The Brommel-Hanson-McGee Award ($800)

DEADLINE EXTENDED to May 25, 2020!

The Brommel-Hanson-McGee Award ($800) provides annual support for students in the College of Arts and Sciences. Each year, the College of Arts and Sciences will invite applications from qualified students who have faced challenges in pursuing their education and also demonstrated high academic achievement, potential for future success, and community leadership at NEIU or externally. The scholarship can cover tuition, fees and books.

Scholarship Criteria

• Junior student entering his or her senior year at NEIU.
  • Declared major in at least one discipline within the College of Arts and Sciences.
  • Grade Point Average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
  • A strong research background, published articles and/or papers presented at state or regional conferences are highly desirable.

Preference is given to applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria:

• Participant in University Honors, MARC U-Star program, McNair Scholars, and/or other selective academic programs
  • Active leadership roles in NEIU or external community
  • Participant in the annual NEIU Student Research and Creative Activities Symposium