Northeastern Illinois University students receive monetary aid through CARES Act

May 13, 2020

Through the end of May, Northeastern Illinois University students who enrolled for the 2020 spring semester by Jan. 17, 2020, are eligible to receive funding available through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. 

Fund distribution is based on the number of credits taken during the spring semester. Students may receive up to $42 per credit hour while Pell grant recipients receive a $15 increase atop the original amount. A student enrolled in 13 credit hours can receive up to $546 in funds.

The funding comes from the federal CARES Act that was passed into law on March 27, 2020. Aiming to counteract the economic fallout of the novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, the CARES Act designates $6 billion in emergency funding from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund to universities and college students throughout the United States. 

Approximately $3 million will be distributed to students at NEIU. 

NEIU undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a degree program at the Spring 2020 census (Jan. 17, 2020) can receive CARES funding. However, the U.S. Department of Education disqualified undocumented or international students from receiving the aid.

Students who are ineligible to receive CARES funding can apply for the Student Emergency Fund if noted that they were unable to receive funding.

NEIU staff will contact students directly to notify them if they are eligible to receive CARES funding. An email distributed by university officials will also prompt students to establish a direct deposit account if they haven’t done so already. Students who have not created an electronic payment account will receive instructions on how to set up an account.

Students eligible to receive CARES funding should visit the “payment/refund” link to create an electronic payment account. If you have questions on eligibility status, visit Northeastern’s CARES Act Frequently Asked Questions for more information.