Northeastern Illinois University to continue remote teaching for summer semesters

April 13, 2020

Northeastern Illinois University plans to transition to remote instruction, according to an email distributed by Northeastern Illinois University. According to the targeted announcement, instructors are tasked with transitioning to digital instruction from the first half of the summer session, which runs from May 15 to June 25, through the full summer session, scheduled from May 15 to Aug. 8. 

The deadline to register for both the first half of NEIU’s summer session and the full summer session is May 13.

As of April 13, a final decision for remote teaching has not been made for students who have enlisted for the second-half summer semester, which is scheduled from June 26 to Aug. 6.

Educators are encouraged to teach in an improvisational model that allows students to adapt to an accommodating workflow. 

The modified Spring 2020 grading policy states that students must withdraw from their courses by April 27. Students receiving an “F” grade will instead receive a no pass “NP” grade while students who finished with a  C or higher will receive a “pass” grade, represented as “P.” 

Students should consult their advisors if they are unsure about the new grading policy following the university’s decision to extend the pass/fail deadline to April 27. While the university has not imposed limits on the number of pass/fail courses a student can take,  current guidelines prohibit students from reversing their decision once finalized. 

Coronavirus cases have reached an all-time high. On Friday, Illinois officials confirmed 1,465 new coronavirus cases and 68 additional deaths. 

In response to growing concerns surrounding the novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, NEIU suspended all face-to-face instruction for the remainder of the spring semester following Gov. J.B Pritzker’s decision to extend the stay at home order until April 30. 

On Thursday, Pritzker expressed uncertainty about the continuation of large events, stating people should “think carefully about canceling summer events.” 

View Comments(1)

NEIU Independent • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• G

GregApr 26, 2020 at 9:31 am

What about the fall 2020 semester?

Reply
1