Photo by Matthew Rago
Photo by Matthew Rago

NEIU Alumni Association, Parker Dewey team to offer micro-internships

March 28, 2020

For the third consecutive year, the Northeastern Illinois University Alumni Association is partnering with internship agency Parker Dewey to provide students with micro-internships, according to an NEIU targeted announcement.

Aiming to assist the transition from higher education to career, micro-internships are “short-term, paid, professional assignments similar to those given to new hires or interns.” Through micro-internships, experienced NEIU alumni provide current students opportunities to gain workplace experience without monopolizing their time.  Interested students should anticipate between five and 40 hours of work.

“Micro-internships are unique in that they are short-term, paid, professional assignments and enable students to demonstrate their skills and grow a professional network,” explained Emily Gallagher, Associate Director of the Office of Alumni Relations.

Gallagher continued: “The NEIU Alumni Association’s partnership with Parker Dewey has benefitted students and recent graduates by providing them the opportunity to explore career paths while building a professional portfolio. The platform also enables NEIU alumni to give back to their alma mater and connect with students by posting internships and professional mentorship opportunities.”

Gallagher encourages interested students to create an account for the year-round opportunity. Students will also be prompted to create a profile and apply for paid micro-internships, which the targeted announcement states helps create a channel to “build your skills, explore career paths and grow a professional network.”

The announcement also cites micro-internships as a way for alumni to identity, attract and groom top students for prospective employment.  Questions and inquiries can be directed to Gallagher at [email protected].

Read the full announcement below:

“The Northeastern Illinois University Alumni Association has partnered with Parker Dewey, a mission-oriented, local organization aiming to improve the college-to-career transition. Through the use of short-term projects, also known as micro-internships, experienced alumni can provide opportunities for NEIU students and recent alumni to work on real professional assignments.

A micro-internship is a short-term, paid, professional assignment that is similar to those given to new hires or interns. In addition to supporting professional development, these experiences can provide a modest income source during these challenging times.

Students and recent graduates are encouraged to create an account, complete a profile and apply for paid micro-internships that will help you to build your skills, explore career paths and grow a professional network. Micro-internships take place year-round, range from 5-40 hours of work, and are due between one week and one month after kick-off.

Since 2018, the Northeastern Illinois University Alumni Association has partnered with Parker Dewey to provide professional relationship-building and career development opportunities for alumni and students. This micro-internship platform is also a resource for alumni who are interested in providing professional opportunities for the NEIU community, identifying top talent, and gaining support for various business tasks.

Please direct any questions to [email protected].”