Eagle Eye Advice

Lakeesha J. Harris, Senior Staff Writer

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2012
Updated: Saturday, March 3, 2012 01:03

Since the Adult and Women’s office is no more, where can adults NEIU students get info on important resources they need to help them succeed, such as low cost childcare? I ask because the Head Start program in Uptown I am working for is opening a new room this Monday. The teacher is bilingual, speaking Spanish and English. We can accept kids between the ages of 3-5. We also have space in our 2-year-old room. Who can I give this info to at NEIU? Who could relay this to low income students who are in need of this service? Thanks for your help.

Wynne Turkington – NEIU Alumna
Hello Wynne,
This is a very good question. As I walk across campus, I’ve noticed an increase in the amount of students with children in tow, going off to classes.  Some have confided in me that they lost their low cost childcare due to lack of state funding. One friend of mine in particular said that she was denied child care because she was a graduate student and the state thought that she should be able to afford childcare on her own as a graduate student.
What this tells me is that our university, especially since the average student age is 27 years old, should be looking into more efficient ways to serve our student population – especially in regards to resources that will assist students to stay in school. I am glad that your organization is offering childcare services to the students of NEIU and I am happy to print it here.
Students who are looking for low cost child-care services, please contact the Winthrop Children’s Center. It’s a full day head start program. Wynne Turkington is the family service worker and can be reached by calling (773) 878-4210.

Dear Lakeesha,
I’ve been having problems with a professor in my program. We got off to a bad start last semester due to disagreements over his teaching style and I have him again for a class this semester too. I feel like he’s ignoring me during class discussions and is grading me more harshly than everyone else. I am probably going to have him again at some point during my time here and I just want to resolve our differences. What’s the best way to approach him?
Anonymous, Sophmore
Dear Anon Sophmore,
I think that most students come across the “Payback” professor. This is the professor who wields his/her power of the grade to subdue the “out of control” student. Towing the line of professor-student relationships can be a tricky balancing act, and students often feel powerless to do anything if they feel wronged. This is nothing new in the world of academia.
Here’s the good news. As a student, you have the power of petition.  You should start by having a conversation with your professor. Let him/her know your feelings and see if there is a solution that will work for both of you. As students we often forget that professors were also once students, and may have felt slighted along their path toward higher education. Most conflicts with professors can be resolved through this simple step.
If, after this conversation, you feel that amicable results were not gained from this interaction, you may need to work the chain of protocol. This will lead you to the department head next. Whatever program or department you are in has either a program coordinator or department chair. Find out who that person is and schedule a meeting with them. More often than not they can act as a mediator between you and professor “Payback”.
If no resolution can be reached by this method you have two other options. You can go to the Dean of your college or you can do a grade appeal once the grades are turned in for the semester. The grade appeal process can be found in the student handbook and accessed online at http://www.neiu.edu/~deanstu/handbookDirectory.html.
I hope all of this helps you to feel empowered. By the way, document everything. You will need it to back up your claim of misconduct.