The race to the White House: Trump

A biography on Republican candidate Donald J. Trump.

Donald+Trump%E2%80%99s+campaign+slogan+is+Make+America+Great+Again%21+amid+lewd+comments+towards+women+and+violent+mannerisms+towards+minorities.++++

MICHAEL VADON 201-790-7758

Donald Trump’s campaign slogan is Make America Great Again! amid lewd comments towards women and violent mannerisms towards minorities.

Rut Ortiz, News Editor

Donald John Trump is the Republican candidate running for president in the upcoming November election.

According to biographies published by Fox News and biography.com, he was born in 1946 and is 70 years old. He was born to parents Mary Macleod Trump and Frederick Christ Trump and grew up in Jamaica Bay, N.Y. He has two sisters and one brother.

Early years:

His father is a son of German immigrants and became a real estate millionaire by developing residential real estate in the New York City boroughs of Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.

During his early years, Trump attended the New York Military Academy for his high school career. He graduated from the academy to attend Fordham University in New York before transferring to the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and graduating with a bachelor’s degree in economics with a concentration in real estate. After graduating in 1968 he went to go work with his father and learn his  real estate business.

His first marriage was to Ivana Winklmayr, a New York fashion model. She gave birth to his three children: Donald John Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump. The pair had a very publicized divorce in 1992.

Trump then married Marla Maples, who he had been involved with while married to Winklmayr. Maples gave birth to his daughter Tiffany Trump in 1993. He and Maples went through a highly publicized divorce which was finalized in 1999.

Trump married for the third time to Slovenian model Melania Knauss, who is more than twenty years his junior. Knauss gave birth to their son Barron William Trump in 2006.

Trump has a total of five children.

Career and projects:

Trump became the president of his then father’s real estate company in the early 1970s, wherein he renamed the company the Trump Organization. He began to make business ventures within the borough of Manhattan creating a buzz of popularity for himself in the real estate industry in New York.

After completing multiple projects in the 1970s and 1980s that catapulted him into high society, Trump expanded his real-estate empire by investing in the casino and gambling business. He opened a new complex in 1984 named Harrah’s at Trump Plaza after establishing a partnership with the Holiday Inn Corporation, the parent company of Harrah’s casino hotels.

Soon thereafter he bought out Holiday Inn and renamed it Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino. Years later he was able to acquire the largest hotel-casino in the world. He opened the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City in 1990.

In 1988 he purchased the Plaza Hotel in New York City and spent millions refurbishing it.

His real estate career made him a high-profile persona for television and in 2004 he began producing and starring in his own reality TV series on NBC called, “The Apprentice.”

The volatility of business:

According to Forbes.com, Trump’s net worth is valued at $3.7 billion, down approximately $800 million from 2015.

In 1989, he purchased Eastern Airlines Shuttle for $365 million and renamed it Trump Shuttle. This business venture proved unprofitable and Trump defaulted on his loans, leaving the airline to merge with another company.

The real-estate market declined in 1990 resulting in a recession that affected the whole nation. The Trump Organization required an influx of loans in order to stay afloat.

And in 2016, Trump announced that his largest casino the Trump Taj Mahal would be closing its doors. This was amid multiple bankruptcies and a lengthy employee strike.

According to Forbes.com Trump has filed for corporate bankruptcy four times in: 1991, 1992, 2004 and 2009. He has never filed personal bankruptcy.

Aspirations for presidency:

Trump ran unsuccessfully for president in the Republican primaries in 1996.

A biography published on Foxnews.com states that Trump quit the Republican party in 1999 and switched to the Reform party and then ran for president again in 2000.

Trump has ignited a number of controversies that have followed him throughout his campaign.

As a real-estate mogul, he has been sued for discrimination by the government of New York City for refusing to rent to African Americans.

He has called Mexicans rapists and criminals while pushing the idea of building a wall between America and Mexico, claiming he would make Mexico to pay for the wall.

Trump has made lewd and troubling comments concerning women, Muslims, the disabled and spearheaded the birther movement accusing President Barack Obama of not being an American citizen. The president provided his birth certificate as proof, silencing the accusations.

During a PBS Newshour interview, Trump responded to a charge that “some of his positions have been as inconsistent as his party affiliation, on issues like abortion.”

“Well, look, I’m very pro choice,” Trump said according to the transcription. “And I am very, very proud to say that I am pro-life.”