Man on the Street

What do you think of the Decade of Dreams project at NEIU?

“If [the property owners] don’t accept the money, then they shouldn’t force them. If they accept it then it’s alright. Forcing people to do something they don’t want to do is unfair.” Michael Martinez Junior Math and Education
“If [the property owners] don’t accept the money, then they shouldn’t force them. If they accept it then it’s alright. Forcing people to do something they don’t want to do is unfair.”
Michael Martinez
Junior
Math and Education
“I’m fine with eminent domain [but] they definitely need to provide an above fair market value [for the property]. If I bought it before the market crash and I got half of what I originally paid, that would be very upsetting, and unfair…they need to be compensated.” Charlie Jurewicz Graduate Student Philosophy and Economics
“I’m fine with eminent domain [but] they definitely need to provide an above fair market value [for the property]. If I bought it before the market crash and I got half of what I originally paid, that would be very upsetting, and unfair…they need to be compensated.”
Charlie Jurewicz
Graduate Student
Philosophy and Economics
“I think it’s really terrible that they’re trying to take all the land from the shop owners… I heard this lady say, ‘NEIU owns all this land on Foster,’ I think it’s terrible and greedy.” Amber Blay Freshman Chemistry
“I think it’s really terrible that they’re trying to take all the land from the shop owners… I heard this lady say, ‘NEIU owns all this land on Foster,’ I think it’s terrible and greedy.”
Amber Blay
Freshman
Chemistry
“I have some issues with the government taking land, but if it’s for the better use of the public, I’m not too unhappy about it. If we’re talking about NEIU here, and expanding, [then] the people around here don’t really need it. It’s not so necessary.” Benjamin Spector Freshman Computer Science
“I have some issues with the government taking land, but if it’s for the better use of the public, I’m not too unhappy about it. If we’re talking about NEIU here, and expanding, [then] the people around here don’t really need it. It’s not so necessary.”
Benjamin Spector
Freshman
Computer Science
“If [the property owners] want to move away, do it, but if they don’t leave them alone. Leave their homes alone and build somewhere else.” Aaron Shiffman Sophomore Communications & Media and Theatre
“If [the property owners] want to move away, do it, but if they don’t leave them alone. Leave their homes alone and build somewhere else.”
Aaron Shiffman
Sophomore
Communications & Media and Theatre
“I want to say it’s fair, but at the same time, I personally think it would depend on the place. If someone has lived there their whole life, you shouldn’t take it from them. But at the same time, I feel like if you’re compensating them monetarily, they should be okay with it. I’m on the fence.” Allegra Harper Freshman English g
“I want to say it’s fair, but at the same time, I personally think it would depend on the place. If someone has lived there their whole life, you shouldn’t take it from them. But at the same time, I feel like if you’re compensating them monetarily, they should be okay with it. I’m on the fence.”
Allegra Harper
Freshman
English
g