Twelve Days of Spanish Dance

Rut Ortiz, News Editor

This summer, NEIU’s Ensemble Español for Spanish Dance will celebrate Spanish culture with its 38th International American Spanish Dance & Music Festival.

This twelve-day spectacle will include flamenco, folkloric and classical styles of choreography, musical themes and costumes.

Day 1: The festival begins with a flamenco music and dance performance at 8 p.m. on June 11.

This kickoff will take place at Chicago’s very own Old Town School of Folk Music, located along Lincoln Avenue.

Day 2: The Ensemble’s festival will travel back to home court where a concert will take place at the NEIU Recital Hall located in Building E. This concert will feature classical Spanish music and dance at 7:30 p.m.

Days 3-7: June 13-19 will consist of 57 dance classes and workshops that concentrate on all three styles of Spanish dance. The venue for these workshops is NEIU’s dance studios in Building J on main campus.

Students and non-students are encouraged to take part in this experience. Those interested in participating may contact Festival Coordinator Josephine DiCesare for registration and further information by phone at (773) 442-5916 or by email at [email protected].

Days 4, 5 and 6: Three live performances sum up the festival on Friday, June 20; Saturday, June 21; and Sunday, June 22. They will be held at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts in Skokie, Ill.

The dancers of NEIU’s Ensemble Español will be performing alongside guest choreographers from Spain Carmela Greco, Pol Vaquero and Gala Vivancas.

Carmela Greco is the daughter of José Greco, a man who popularized flamenco dance in America during the 1950s and 60s. Vaquero and Vivancas are former principals with the National Ballet of Spain.

Among the guest choreographers, the list of invitees includes flamenco singers and guitarists as well as a Venezuelan percussionist.

The 72-hour summation to the festival will be danced in two acts on each day.

This includes the world premier of the dance “Mil Clavos,” which means “One Thousand Nails.”

This dance is a collaboration of the Ensemble’s dancers and the teachings of world-renowned choreographer Ron de Jesús.

Information on tickets and parking can be found on www.northshorecenter.org.

More information on concerts and classes can be found on www.ensembleespanol.org.