President’s Pen – NEIU United Greek Council

NEIU United Greek Council

Officers:
President: Chakira Hamilton (Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.)
Internal Vice President: Shevy Booze (Theta Chi Omega National Multicultural Sorority, Inc.)
External Vice President: Kyle Thomas (External Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc.)
Treasurer: Abdel Velasquez (Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc.)
Secretary: Yasmine Acosta-Aguayo (Gamma Theta Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.)
Social Chair: Juan Martinez (Omega Delta Fraternity, Inc.)
Academic Chair: Christine Ellasos (Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc.)
Philanthropy Chair: Maggie Dudzinska (Theta Chi Omega National Multicultural Sorority, Inc.)
Expansion Chairz: Denny Esquivel (Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc.)
Greetings from the United Greek Council.
The United Greek Council (UGC) was created as a governing and uniting body to mediate and moderate the active Fraternity and Sorority population on the NEIU campus. The UGC coordinates strategic programming to maintain high standards, promote higher education, increase community outreach and enhance leadership opportunities for NEIU students who opt to participate in Greek-Lettered Organizations and their activities. We also serve as a liaison between the UGC, the university student body and administration to enhance the quality of student life at the university.

Each year, five officers and four chairs are elected from the pool of active Greek orgs who are registered with the council. This year, the executive board consists of members from seven unique incorporated collegiate sororities and fraternities who oversee various functions of the organization. These officers meet approximately twice monthly, with representatives from each of the 15 registered Fraternities and Sororities to tackle issues that impact the Greek community. Guests and spectators are welcomed and encouraged.
Most recently, the UGC sponsored Greek Week (Oct. 29 – Nov. 2). Greek Week consisted of six days of inter-organizational bonding, fund-raising for charity, and school spirit activities including a Homecoming dance, pep rally and flag football game. The council also works with the Office of Student Leadership Development (SLD) to create an annual publication for students who may be interested in fraternity and sorority activities, which can be found in the SLD office.
For students interested in learning more about Greek life, or the UGC, there will be an Informational meeting on Nov. 15, 2012 in Lech Walesa Hall 3005 from 3:05 – 5 p.m. Students can have their questions answered, meet members of the Greek community and view a presentation about the offerings of the organization on campus.